Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fogelface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 1, 2007
i just bought a MBP 1.83ghz second hand. i was given the Admin. user password, but there is a second user account that is labeled "Other." when i click on that user there is no login name or password. when i log in as the admin and open the user prefferences, the "other" user is not there. Any clue? im so confused.

Thanks

Warbrain

macrumors 603
Jun 28, 2004
Chicago, IL
i just bought a MBP 1.83ghz second hand. i was given the Admin. user password, but there is a second user account that is labeled "Other." when i click on that user there is no login name or password. when i log in as the admin and open the user prefferences, the "other" user is not there. Any clue? im so confused.

Thanks

Um, could just be the manner in which he made the login window look. I remember reading about a way to make it display the option of "Other..." but I don't remember where...

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Sounds like Root User is enabled. It's probably best to turn it off. Go to NetInfo Manager in the Utilities folder and from the Security menu, select Disable Root User. Type the necessary passwords and restart. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.