Can''t add users (even though I'm the administrator)

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by DazedNConfusedX, Feb 18, 2005.

1. DazedNConfusedX macrumors newbie

Hi - I searched around to see if this issue has already been discussed, but I didn't come across it in existing threads.

I think I deleted some files from (perhaps) my "/user/Library" folder which caused me to not be able to add users, even though I am my Mac's administrator (PB 15" 1.33GHz 60G - the ones that came out around April 2004). I have had this problem while running OSX 10.3.3-10.3.8.

This is what happens:

- I go into /SYSTEM PREFERENCES/ACCOUNTS
    - I click on the "+" button to add a new user, but nothing happens - nothing at all! No error messages, no (apparent) change, visually, in the Accounts dialog box.

I worked w/ Apple Support over the phone for approximately 30 min., and they couldn't solve the problem. They told me to re-install the OSX from my intallation CD's. They said to choose the archiving option when re-installing (and to preserve user's folders, network settings, etc.) instead of choosing the option that erases the disk and installs the OS again.

Well, I did that, and the problem still exists. The symptoms don't seem to have changed at all.

When I first got this Mac and installed the OS, before I fiddled with removing files that I wasn't sure about (hehe), I was able to add new users (when logged in as the administrator).

I'd rather not have to re-install the OS using that other option - to erase the disk and install. I think mainly, that would be a pain, because I'll have to re-install and re-configure a bunch of app's and other things.

Does anyone think s/he knows the solution to my problem (aside from the erase & re-install)? Thanks.

2. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

That is WEIRD. :confused:

How about opening the Console, and see if you get any funky error messages when clicking on the '+' sign.

Worth a shot, maybe?

Or you can do 'adduser' or 'useradd' via the Terminal to add users the UNIX way (bit of a pain though, if you'r not UNIX-savvy.)

3. emw macrumors G4

emw

This is odd - you have no idea what you deleted? I am assuming that Apple support had you run Repair Permissions from Disk Utility? If not, try that.

Also, when you go to System Prefs > Accounts, under My Account it does say Admin, right? If not, if may not think you are an admin.

4. DazedNConfusedX thread starter macrumors newbie

The "Console" idea is interesting. I haven't messed much with it, yet (been meaning to dig into my machine more, but haven't gotten to it yet :)).

Anyway, I tried your suggestion, and this is the message that results in the Console log:

2005-02-19 11:24:24.623 System Preferences[364] *** -[NSCFString hasPrefix:]: nil string (or other) argument

That doesn't clue me in on anything - does it, for you?

As for running Repair Permissions from Disk Utility, I recall that they had me do that. This was about six months ago, so I can't recall that many details. It didn't fix the problem, though.

Anyway, after re-installing OSX a few days ago, I again ran "Repair Permissions" on my h.d. from Disk Utility. Again, it didn't fix my problem. :(

Looks like I will have to do an erase and instlall, then - unless someone comes through w/ a magic solution! :)

5. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

6. DazedNConfusedX thread starter macrumors newbie

No, I don't have HenWen installed. I hadn't heard of it 'til now. It says it's a network instrusion detector of some sort. How would that affect the ability to add users? Just curious - you don't have to explain, if it's too messy. :)

7. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

I've found that (for whatever reason) HenWen installs on any of my Macs interferes with local account creation and removal.