Can't boot after installing FrontRow 1.3 on a PowerBook G4!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by krestfallen, Oct 30, 2006.

1. krestfallen macrumors member

krestfallen

Hi everybody...

yesterday i installed frontrow with the frontrow enabler (yeah, i shouldn't do this...) and now i can't boot anymore into mac os x.

it stops loading after the gui loads and the first progress bar appears before the login. the progress bar appears and disappears short after that. then the rotating circle appears, disappears, appears, disappears (and so on and so on). i even can't see the login window. it's stuck.

repairing disk permissions didn't work. i also checked the volume, nothing wrong...

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

You're absolutely right you shouldn't do this - it's not worth the hassle.

You're solution is a re-install of the OS, you will lose all your stuff because an Archive and Install isn't going to fix anything.

Somebody might have a technical, very involved way of fixing things but please, don't install Front Row again.

3. krestfallen thread starter macrumors member

krestfallen

yes but 30$ for an application like media central is too expensive i think (10 or 15$ would be nice). okay this shouldn't result in installing something that's not supposed to be installed on that machine.

well that's sad.

but linux (ubuntu) can read hfs+, right?
    it would be nice if i could backup something before i reinstall osx. i recently installed a 160gb hd...

4. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I agree, MediaCentral was sooo much better when it was free and simple.

5. krestfallen thread starter macrumors member

krestfallen

6. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

Front Row Enabler has damaged the BezelServices.framework (located in System/Libraries/PrivateFrameworks). This framework has changed since 10.4.7, but Front Row Enabler has not been updated.

You may either reinstall the system (using Archive & Install option, so that all your user settings won't be lost), or start the system from another disk/partition (if you have one), and use 10.4.8 Combo Update on the damaged system.

7. g-7 macrumors 6502

g-7

Really?

Archive & Install replaces System/Library, and the damaged file is there.

In fact applying the Combo 10.4.8 update would also help, because it overwrites the BezelServices.framework.

8. Soulstorm macrumors 68000

Soulstorm

Yeas, I have the same opinion too.

As for the second possible solution... He/she can't boot, so he can't apply the 10.4.8 combo update.

9. krestfallen thread starter macrumors member

krestfallen

well, about this archive and install thing... this will only save my preferences (application support) and nothing else?
    so applications themselves, documents, and all that stuff won't be backed up?

i could if i have a second mac. you could link the two macs with a firewire connection and apply the combo update to the other system. this should work i think.

and btw: i'm male :p

10. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Archive and Install will preserve everything, documents, pictures, music, programs. I thought it also preserved changes you made to the system which is why I suggested against it but maybe I was wrong.

11. krestfallen thread starter macrumors member

krestfallen

i'll backup my things before i do an archive and install, just to be save. after this i'll know what's there and what's not.

thank you guys for the nice help.