Can't Boot from DiskWarrior

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by BigBurd, Jan 31, 2006.

1. BigBurd macrumors member

BigBurd

I have a copy of Alsoft's DiskWarrior 3.0, for Mac OS X, and have been trying to use it with a relatively new iMac G5, running OS 10.3. It will not let me boot from the DiskWarrior CD, even while holding the "C" key down during the startup.

Any ideas as to what the problem is?

Thanks, so much.

2. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

It may be as simple as getting DW 3.03 which is a free download from Alsoft.

Since I upgraded to OS 10.4.4 my DW 3.03 will no longer boot my iMac G5 nor a friend's G5. Alsoft says it's an Apple problem but if they want people to use their software they will get interested in helping to solve the problem.

DW will still run from an external hard drive but won't boot the machines. I have no idea how many people this affects or if it is a random thing.

3. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Alsoft has recently posted a rather confusing narrative about Tiger being more stringent in start up requirements from CD. Apparently a new CD called 3.03 revision 39 is necessary and it looks as if it cannot be achieved from a download but must be physically ordered.

4. iGary Guest

iGary

5. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

Yes, I had to do this. I think it was $19.95 including shipping. I had to register my copy over the phone. Alsoft then sends you a Tiger compatible version with the Registration number on the disk to match your original copy.

All is well now.

6. YS2003 macrumors 68020

YS2003

I updated Diskwarrior 3.0 to 3.03 via web site. After I burned 3.03 into the CD, I used that CD to boot my Mac (PB and iBook running 10.4.4). Both got the kernel panic after pressing C to boot up. So, I cannot use this software on my Mac.

7. tweakers_suck macrumors regular

If 3.03 doesn't work on your computer it is probably too new. You need to order a copy from Alsoft that works on the newer machines. It is $19.95 including shipping and worth it.

8. JDar macrumors 6502a

JDar

Got the Rev 39 disk and tried it today--the iMac G5 didn't boot from it. I read the troubleshooting file then removed everything plugged in except the keyboard and mouse. That worked and DW ran as it usually has done. Guess it doesn't like hubs and apc gear very much.