Can't Boot from OSX Install DVD

Discussion in 'OS X' started by NickD, Apr 16, 2007.

1. macrumors 6502a

NickD

I need to repair my HD, and I'm trying to boot from my Mac OSX Tiger Install DVD, but I run into the same problem every time.

I hold down "c" at the start, and I wait until the spinning gear comes up, but as soon as the computer has been booted up, I see that it hasn't actually booted from the DVD, but rather from the Internal HD as usual.

To try a different method, I went into the Startup Preferences to manually choose to boot from the DVD, but I found that it didn't show up, as if the system didn't even recognize that it was a plausible startup method. The system recognized that it was in the drive and that it was the install DVD, but it didn't show up in the Startup Preferences.

I restarted again as usual, but held down the option key so that I could select from a list of possible startup volumes. Once again, the DVD didn't show up on the list, only my Internal HD.

Anyone have any idea of how I can do this? Or is there another way I can repair my Internal HD?

NickD

2. macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I would try booting the problem computer in Transfer mode provided you have another Mac with a FW port.

Should be able to repair permissions that way.

3. macrumors 68030

slooksterPSV

Startup in Single User Mode
    CMD+S before the chime, and hold it till a black screen with white text comes up
    Then type in: fsck -fy
    then reboot or exit to restart.