Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

betsbillabong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
hi everyone, and happy new year.

i'm trying to burn a dvd of digital photos as a backup, and i keep getting an error telling me that i have to get rid of some files, it's too big, blah blah blah. well sure enough, the first time i looked it WAS too big (4.73G) and so i got rid of a few files in order to bring it down under 4.7. but now it continues to tell me this.

does this mean that i can't actually burn 4.7G? or is there a problem?

thanks,
bb

bearbo

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2006
hi everyone, and happy new year.

i'm trying to burn a dvd of digital photos as a backup, and i keep getting an error telling me that i have to get rid of some files, it's too big, blah blah blah. well sure enough, the first time i looked it WAS too big (4.73G) and so i got rid of a few files in order to bring it down under 4.7. but now it continues to tell me this.

does this mean that i can't actually burn 4.7G? or is there a problem?

thanks,
bb

well, how bit is it now? 4.65GB?

betsbillabong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
It's down to 4.57GB

It's at 4.57GB and still tells me it's too large for the disc and I have to remove some files.

betsbillabong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
burning dvd

no question is stupid - thanks for taking the time.

i'm just using the finder as i usually do. i'm dragging the folder onto the icon of the dvd. and then dragging the dvd to the burn icon in the dock (where the trash usually is).

this is pretty strange. i might shut down and try again, but will have to do it in the morning as i need to go to bed.

if anyone else has any bits of wisdom i'd love to hear them. i'll report back in the morning.

AuricBlue

macrumors member
Jan 3, 2007
Most DVD+/-R/RW Discs only hold ~4483 MB / 1000 = 4.483 GB or / 1024 = 4.378, try a DL disc which hold 8152 MB. Of course that requires a DL drive.

Keep in mind media manufacturers use 10^3 or 1000 bytes = 1 KB and operating systems usually use 2^10 or 1024 bytes = 1 KB.

Good luck!

Auric Blue

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
You're running into the usual problem in that there are two definitions of "gigabyte". The media uses the larger one which defines 1GB = 1000*1000*1000 bytes while the OS defines GB as 1024*1024*1024 bytes (which should be called gibibytes, GiB, but usually aren't).

Thus your 4.7 GB media can only hold ~ 4.4 GiB of actual data which still doesn't include any overhead for the file system.

EDIT: Auric and Nermal snuck in.

B

betsbillabong

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 13, 2004
Thanks

Not great news, but I understand it now. So, from the standpoint of my computer, these are actually 4.4GB discs.

Bummer - I really don't want to delete so many of these movies and pics... but it's much more convenient to have a single DVD for all of them.

Thanks.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.