Can't burn cds / dvds - Medium error, hardware error, etc.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by andrewstretch, Mar 20, 2007.

1. andrewstretch macrumors newbie

I have an iMac G5
    ok, this is a problem that I originally thought concerned the discs I was using. About a month ago I tried to burn a cd using toast (ver 6.0.5) - an error message came up saying something like "burn failed" - MEDIUM ERROR. I'd just bought a new batch of CDRs - (RiData) and since it was the first burn with them I thought it was just the discs. I tried burning with iTunes and got the message "The Laser Failed to Calibrate". After trying several times with the RiData discs, sometimes they would work - the same disc would reject several times, then suddenly it would take and burn.
    -I got tired of dealing with this and went back to my old discs (maxell) that I've never ever had a problem with in almost 2 years - but I've been having the problem with them!
    -I never had any issues with DVDR until the other day - then I got two separate failures with different messages :

The Drive Reported an Error
    Sense Key Illegal Request
    code: 0x30, 0x05
    Cannot write medium - incompatible format

and

The Drive Reported an Error
    Hardware error
    code: 0x09, 0x01
    Tracking Servo Failure

Has anyone come across this type of thing? Thinking back to what could have caused this, the only other changes to my system prior to first experiencing these issues were installing 'handbrake' and ripping one DVD down to ipod size video...

can I clean the drive? Install some kind of update?

PLEASE HELP!!

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Try power cycling the drive. Unplug your iMac from the wall overnight and plug it back in the next morning to see how it goes. :)

3. spork183 macrumors 6502a

spork183

had similar on my als g5 imac. superdrive replacement fixed it. nothing else worked. same type of sporadic thing, until coasters were pretty regular. Tried a number of different media. some seemed to work, but not for long. replaced under applecare. They sent the drive, I threw it in. piece of cake.

4. andrewstretch thread starter macrumors newbie

Spork183 - I no longer have applecare, but you say you installed the superdrive yourself? And it was easy? So if I can locate a drive to buy, you feel it's an easy fix?
    thanks