Can't burn cds in Mac os X what do you think?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by btcomm, Dec 29, 2006.

1. btcomm macrumors regular

Ok, so I have this emac here and it has can burn CD's as well as DVD's. It doesn't seem to have any problem reading cds that are burnt or commercial cds but when you go to burn cds on it it will act like it's burning them but after it's done you have a new coaster. It doesn't matter if I burn with finder or Itunes the same thing happens, it just says that mac can't read the volume on the disc you inserted.

I have a feeling that the burner is bad but could this be something corrupted in the OS? Should I do an archive and install? Would that fix this problem possibly?

2. Irish Dave macrumors regular

Sounds like a hardware problem to me. :(

Dave

3. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

I have exactly the opposite problem! I can burn CDs just fine, but I can't read them :( Apart from replacing the drive, is there anything we can do about our faulty drives?

4. btcomm thread starter macrumors regular

dllavaneras, no there really isn't. The only other thing I can think of maybe there is a firmware upgrade for the drive? If the firmware went bad perhaps a firmware upgrade could fix it.

If the drive is phyically bad though then you would have to replace it.

5. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Well, to be honest I don't use the CD drive much (almost not at all since I got an iPod and a flash drive), so it could be just plain dirty. But if it records well, but doesn't read, then it's just being a snob ;) I'll get one of those cd cleaner thingies tomorrow

6. btcomm thread starter macrumors regular

Does it use differn't lenses to burn and to read? Dang it, maybe that is the problem then.

7. dusanv macrumors 6502

Sounds exactly like that Sony-made virus my PC caught after ripping a Sony CD about two or three years ago now. But that didn't affect Macs so nothing to worry...