Can't Burn Disks

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by McApple, Mar 25, 2005.

1. McApple macrumors newbie

I am trying to burn a CD on iTunes, but when it starts burning, it says its writing the first track but it actually isn't; it doesn't go anywhere. I can hear the drive kick up and the disk spins but after a while it spits it back out and says "The device drained its buffer without burn underrun protection."

I have the Pioneer SuperDrive that came with the computer.

How can I fix this? :confused:

2. blodwyn macrumors 65816

A bit more info is would be useful here...

What Mac are you using
    What version OS X
    What type of media are you using
    Can you successfully burn using another application
    What type of tracks are they in iTunes (MP3, etc)
    Did it used to work and now doesn't - if so have you installed anything
    Etc

3. McApple thread starter macrumors newbie

I have an iMac G4
    Panther 10.3.8
    Using Imation 40x CD-Rs
    Haven't tried another application
    I have MP3s and AACs in the playlist
    Yes I have burned many CDs before, and actually had this problem before, but it started working again, and now it isn't anymore

4. Edot macrumors 6502

Clean your drive? Try different media? Does it work without the AAC songs? Are they purchased from the music store? I would try different things until it does work, then you can find out the problem.

5. blodwyn macrumors 65816

A process of elimination needed here

If you can burn successfully using different software then that proves the drive and media are OK. You could also try burning something from a different account to see if that works. If either of those work, then maybe something wrong with the files in iTunes - they have to be converted to audio in order to burn an audio cd.

If neither work then it could be the drive or the media

6. McApple thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried burning one of my playlist with MP3s only, not AACs bought from iTunes, which the playlist Im trying to burn has, and it worked. Then I went back and tried the one I was trying to burn originally again, and it worked. Thats kind of strange. Used the same CDs and iTunes for both.

7. blodwyn macrumors 65816

I take it you don't have some CPU hogging application running when you're trying to burn. Buffer underrun errors can occur if the system can't feed the drive data quick enough because the system is busy doing something else. The drive buffer then runs out of data to burn and you get a coaster. Most drives these days have buffer underrun protection so it doesn't usually happen any more. But the error you're getting suggests that is what is happening.

8. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Wow I am having the same problem and I was just about to post. I burned an audio disk with itunes and I went to burn another and it said the same thing your computer said. I tried it again and it came up with the same message. I restarted and everything seems to work fine, I'm in the process of reburning the disk right now.