Can't Burn/Play Extracted DVD Titles

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by strawdog, Feb 2, 2006.

1. strawdog macrumors newbie

I'm using Mac The Ripper to extract titles only from a DVD. I don't want the main feature, only some of the extras. I choose the titles I want, extract them, and end up with a .m2v file, a couple of .AC3 files, and an empty VIDEO_TS folder. I then go to burn the files using either DVD2one or Toast. DVD2one tells me that there is no valid dvd video fileset. Toast will burn a data CD but no app will play the burned files. What's missing. Is it something to do with not having the .VOB files? They don't come with the title only extraction. If I use MTR to copy the entire DVD I get all the .VOB, .BUP, and .IFO files but then there's no telling which of those files are the titles I want to save. What works?

2. road dog macrumors regular

if you take the entire video_ts file and use Toast 7 the DVD section of the Toast media browser can show you individual titles - movies or extras - and then you can choose which to export into a new format or burn to a new disc. You take the whole video_ts from MTR... not a subset from MTR.

3. strawdog thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I'm using Toast 6. I'll check and see if it will do same. If not, any other ideas?

4. strawdog thread starter macrumors newbie

RANT!! Still Can't Burn/Play Individually Extracted Titles

Yeah, I tried the Toast 7 extraction options. All it offers is a main title extraction or a full feature extraction. I did manage to open individual title pages for viewing but Toast wouldn't recognize over half of the available titles and so I'm still left without being able to accomplish my initial task. Is software technology still so limited that we can't extract individual items from a simple movie DVD in a readily playable and burnable form? MTR will list all the titles but then will only allow you to extract one at a time and not even in an easily playable (.VOB or VIDEO_TS) format. For now it seems it's all trial and error, too much time and wasted media trying to decipher which title belongs to which file, etc.......

5. road dog macrumors regular

You didn't do it right. As I said in my original post, you use the Media Browser in Toast 7... not the VIDEO_TS to DVD option.

1) Put the VIDEO_TS folder on your desktop.
    2) Launch Toast 7
    3) Select Video tab at the top
    4) Select Media tab in the left drawer
    5) Choose DVD from the pop-up

You will see a list of all the titles in the VIDEO_TS folder.
    Click on a specific title and you can see all the chapters in the title.

Drag/drop a title or chapter into the main window of Toast.
    It will be extracted.

You can now either click record to burn a new DVD, or
    Choose the Export button at the bottom of the Toast window to export the video into a format for editing, for putting on a PSP or an iPod, etc.

This is all explained in the guide that comes with Toast.

Did you buy it, or ahem, pirate it?

6. frankblundt macrumors 65816

frankblundt

I think your problems in how you're extracting in MTR i sounds like you've got it set to Title when you might be better off with Title Set, and instead of streams - which is de-muxing the video and creating separate audio (ac3) and video files (m2v) - you want D.
    that way you should end up with a VIDEO_TS folder (and nothing else) with .vobs in it. THEN you'll be able to burn it in Toast as described.

I've never found any way to tell which title is which beyond trial and error BTW

7. strawdog thread starter macrumors newbie

It Works and Doesn't

Thanks for clarifying Road Dog. I got it to work following your procedure. Unfortunately, I'm getting a lot of "stuttering" and pausing during playback. DVD Player tells me that there's a problem with the disc. What's that about? What part of the extraction/burn process might that have occurred?