Can't burn tunes from iTunes to a CD

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ButchVA, Nov 30, 2006.

1. ButchVA macrumors newbie

I'm trying to burn some songs to CD, and (only on certain playlists) iTunes keeps telling me there is not enough room on a 700mb CD-R to burn them. I'm trying to burn like 45 minutes worth of classical music, and I *know* it's nowhere near 700mb (or the 80 minutes the CD-R is advertised as).

Anyone know why this is? And why it doesn't happen for all tunes? Some of them burn just fine.

Thanks!

Butch

2. sahnert macrumors 6502

You might check in iTunes preferences to see what type of CD it is trying to burn (data, audio, etc.). I think if you burn an audio CD, iTunes converts the files into a different format before burning them. This might account for the discrepancy in file sizes.
    That's all I can think of for now.
    you could also try repairing permissions and/or moving the iTunes preference file and restarting iTunes.

if you click "get info" on the songs, what type of files are they?

3. Xavier macrumors 68020

4. ButchVA thread starter macrumors newbie

File origin??

This seems to be an issue of the origin of the file. On files that I loaded from my old CD collection, it's no problem to burn them. Anything I've downloaded from the iTunes Music Store doesn't seem to want to burn.

When I do a "get info" on a file I've purchased, it says it's a "Protected ACC Audio File". On tracks I've imported from my old CDs, it says it's an "ACC Audio File". So how does one "unprotect" the files??

Tks!

B

5. sahnert macrumors 6502

Is the computer you are trying to burn on authorized to play the purchased files?

6. ButchVA thread starter macrumors newbie

Uh, yeah, it's my computer...

I'm the only one who owns/uses it, and I purchased and downloaded the music that's on it, so I suppose it is...

B

7. sahnert macrumors 6502

just to double check, if you try to play these files on your computer, they play with no issues?

8. ButchVA thread starter macrumors newbie

Yep. They do everything except burn to a CD...

B

9. apb3 macrumors regular

apb3

can you burn just one of the tracks?

10. ButchVA thread starter macrumors newbie

I didn't try, as I didn't want to waste a CD

I posted this on the Apple web site discussion forum, and there are a number of people who seem to be having the same problem. It's got to have something to do with it being a "Protected ACC Audio File". The question is, how does one "unprotect" the files?

Tks!

B

11. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

You cannot "unprotect" files. It just means Apple has put restrictions on it such as 5 authorized computer limits etc. I've never had problems burning any iTunes purchased tracks. Good luck...

12. killmoms macrumors 68040

killmoms

Have you ever attempted to burn this playlist before? Try deleting the playlist you have and making a new one, maybe?

If the total length of the files is really only 45 minutes you should be able to create a standard Audio CD just fine. "Protected AAC" means that they are files purchased from the iTunes music store, which can be burned up to 10 times in a single playlist. Not sure what the problem might be, seems strange. Hope you get it figured out! :(

13. sahnert macrumors 6502

Can you walk us through the steps you are using and post screen shots (apple+shift+3) of the error messages you are getting?