cant change file names in finder

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Macky-Mac, Sep 12, 2005.

1. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

a friend with a new ibook (1 month old) using OS 10.4.2 is asking me for help with 2 problems.....which are maybe related?

Things were working fine until a few days ago but now he's unable to change the name of document files in the finder. He says he can highlight the name of the file and that the curser will appear, but when he tries to type in a new name nothing happens.

also, he's been able to use the up and down arrows to navigate through the list of files in the finder but that's also stopped working too

any ideas as to what he should try to fix this?

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Just out of curiosity, when he opens System Preferences...->Keyboard & Mouse, then selects the Keyboard tab, can he type into the text field there?

3. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

The first problem seems to be a permissions issue, and repairing permissions might help... :)

The other one puzzles me a bit more...

4. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I'll ask him that.....I know he's using the computer and able to type stuff generally

5. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

repairing permissions was my first suggestion to him and I'm waiting to hear back as to whether that helped

6. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

It doesn't, but restarting does.

I have had that bug pop up twice since I installed Tiger. You can try editing the name, but once the name is highlighted and you start typing, nothing happens. Repairing permissions did nothing for me, and neither did going into "GET INFO" and playing around with the file's permissions.

7. Macky-Mac thread starter macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

and after restarting, it went back to working fine?