Can't Click with mouse

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by jw3571, Jan 9, 2011.

1. macrumors regular

All of a sudden i can't click anything with my mouse. I can move the cursor around but can't click anything. What's going on? How can I restart the machine without clicking anything?

2. simsaladimbamba

You could try disconnecting the mouse and reconnecting it (Bluetooth or USB?) or you could use the trackpad built into the MBA or you could use the power button and press it and select Restart from the following dialog or you could hold down the power button to shut down the MBA and press it again to start it up.

Btw, what MBA and Mac OS X version and what mouse are you using?
    Maybe you need to clean your mouse between the button(s) and the body?

3. thread starter macrumors regular

Sorry, by mouse I meant trackpad. So I can't anything.

4. simsaladimbamba

You can still do the restart via the power button method. Or if that does not work, you can run down the battery completely.

5. macrumors 6502a

You can force a shutdown by holding the Power Button until the machine turns off.

You can also use the Shortcut keys for a shutdown w/o prompts:

CTRL+OPTION+CMD+EJECT (hold them all down at once and that should prompt a shutdown).

6. macrumors 65816

dgdosen

Try to log on as a guest user - that way you'll know if it's something you did on your account or if it's the machine.

I once accidentally changed the alpha/contrast on my laptop from Universal Access. Didn't know how it happened - but the guest user was fine, so I figured it was something I had done...

7. thread starter macrumors regular

Restart cleared it up. Thanks.