Can't connect Apple TV 3rd gen to home stereo (need 1st gen?)

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by spicynujac, Dec 12, 2012.

1. macrumors regular

So I had Airplay / Airtunes set up using an Airport Express but my home PC was stolen, and a PC running iTunes is required so I can no longer play audio through my home stereo system. (The Airport Express has a mini 3.5" out which a cheap $3 cable will convert to RCA). I purchased a new AppleTV(3rd generation) and it only has HDMI out for video and Optical/Toslink out for audio so I can't connect it to my stereo/receiver RCA inputs (Thanks Apple! You know not everyone has a brand new TV and stereo!)

Apparently the AppleTV version 1 had RCA out. Will this let me use Airplay/Airtunes where I can output wirelessly audio from my iPad / iPod Touch to the AppleTV and hear it on my home stereo? I think Apple is forgetting some people won't even hook AppleTV up to their TV!

I went in to my local electronics shop and they said the only way to get my current AppleTV to work is with a converter box that cost $68, even on Monoprice.com it is going to be around $20 and then you have to plug this separate digital to analog device into a power outlet and buy 2 cables one for each end--sounds like too much trouble. I'd rather just plug in a set of RCA cables to apple 1st gen and be done with it. If this will work I'm returning the Apple TV 3rd gen and I guess looking for a used 1st.

2. macrumors 68020

if you can send audio to an aTV (of any version), you can send audio to an airport express.

it's called the appleTV, it's supposed to be hooked to a TV, if you only want audio, get an airport express.

3. macrumors 65816

MrWillie

4. macrumors 68020

or you can get the one from monoprice that the OP mentioned for $20 that he said sounded like too much trouble.

5. macrumors 6502

I bought a newer receiver on craigslist that has optical input, but that was just my solution. BTW, I had an Airport Express as a work around, but honestly, why have two device to do the same job? I listen to more music than watch TV (weird hey?). I don't want my TV on all the time when I'm listening to music.