Can't connect by Ethernet!! HELP PLEASE

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by IBSNOWEDIN, Jun 2, 2004.

1. IBSNOWEDIN macrumors member

I have a 2.4ghz wireless linksys route which has 4 Ethernet connections on the back.. i got my Powerbook wireless but i want to connect my G4 by Ethernet but i plug them in and it doens't pick up anything no conection at all the samething with the Powerbook i connected and it doesnt pick up anything too but my G4 and the powerbook's airport pick up the linksys with no problem can someone help me please, i never had this problem before it just started to act up! also my Airport connection is going off and on aswell.

Thanks

2. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

have you tried powering down the router then on again after plugging them in

or

putting your computers to sleep after plugging them into the router then waking them up again.

give more info on what you have done so far. It will help others give advice

3. IBSNOWEDIN thread starter macrumors member

I tried those things.. also tried it on my old PC laptop and it didn't pick up anything at all aswell, when i got o Network status their is a red dot by eternet connection like their is nothing connected at all. also tried different ports on the route and changing settings but nothing seems to work.

4. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

are you able to access your routers page and see if the setup options are funky for ethernet for some reason?

5. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

You sure you aren't trying the WAN port on the router? I would try a different port, then I would check the TCP/IP settings of your ethernet connection. Make sure its enabled, too.

6. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I have to ask, but have you tried using a different cat5 cable?

Another thing to try is to hard reset all the settings.

7. IBSNOWEDIN thread starter macrumors member

i have tried different ports and my TCT/IP isn't picking up anything and try to do it manaully and it still doesn't pick up anything at all the network status says the eternet is unplugged but it isn't. i can access the route's page but their isn't any settings there that would effect the ports in the back. What is a WAN port? havn't tried another cable. Going to do a hard reset to see if anything happens

Thanks for the info

8. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

The WAN port is labeled as such. It is the port that you plug the Ethernet cable from your broadband (cable or DSL) modem. The WAN port will be on one end. On my wired Linksys, it is furthest from the power cord. You may connect your computers, printer, and any other networked device to your LAN ports. Only your broadband modem should be connected to the WAN port.

You should go to the Network pane in System Preferences. Beneath the "Location:" pop-up menu is the "Show:" pop-up menu. Select "Show: Built-in Ethernet." Click on the "TCP/IP" tab. Select the "Configure IPv4:" pop-up menu. Choose "Configure IPv4: Using DHCP." Your connection should now be working. Try opening your browser.