Can't connect MB (OS-X Lion) to TV, please help!

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by abs9986, Sep 5, 2011.

1. macrumors member

Feb 23, 2009

After upgrading to Lion I have been unable to connect my 2008 macbook aluminum to my HDTV. It worked fine with snow leopard using a mini display to hdmi converter. Under lion I am unable to. The TV says no signal, and my macbook is not even detecting my tv under display.

Any suggestions?

2. macrumors 601

Oct 27, 2009
    Works fine for me when using a mini display to hdmi converter. Same when using the monitor converter. Using Lion on an early 2008 MBP.

Try messing with the resolutions on display preferences.
  3. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 23, 2009
    I've tried changing the resolution. There are very few options though. My mac doesn't even detect the HDTV
  4. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 23, 2009
  5. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 23, 2009

When I plug the mini display to hdmi converter into my macbook, the screen temporarily flashes blue and then returns to normal. This is consistent with the pre-lion behavior, but from here my macbook fails to recognize the hdtv.
  6. macrumors 6502

Mar 17, 2009
    Los Angeles, CA
    Same here unless I restart while the screen is plugged in.

-1 for Lion.

Still waiting for updates.
  7. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 23, 2009
    I tried restarting while the cable was plugged in with no luck. TV still says no signal and my mac does not recognize the tv
  8. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 23, 2009
    no responses? is anyone having similar issues?
  9. thread starter macrumors member

Feb 23, 2009
    Does anyone recommend a different forum where I could get help on this issue.
  10. macrumors newbie

Sep 7, 2011
    Im in a similar situation...

iMac, trying to connect to my 42" HDTV
    via Mini Displayport to HDMI Adapter

TV says No Signal even though it knows when the HDMI Cable is plugged in,
    and my iMac doesn't even detect the TV...

and im using OS X Lion (which was upgraded)
    im trying to get some help aswell but no luck yet....
    I dont really want to waste money buying loads of different Adapters and Cables though.
  11. macrumors newbie

Dec 18, 2011
    Same situation has anyone found a way to make this work

MBA 2011 running lion, detects television, television does not detect macbook air
  12. macrumors member

Dec 17, 2011
    New York... Where Else?
    This is why you should do clean installs and not upgrades. Try resetting the PRAM.
  13. ABadSanta, Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2012

macrumors regular

Jul 3, 2011
    I had the Apple Store do a fresh install of Lion over the summer, and I am having the same problem. It only connects if I restart my computer while the adapter is plugged in to the tv.
  14. macrumors newbie

Jan 8, 2012
    I've got a late 2010 13" MacBook Pro, and since upgrading to Lion my Belkin Mini DP-HDTV shows which TV it's connected to, but doesn't display anything on the TV. Tried resetting PRAM and SMC, but to no avail. Is there some other way to make this connection? Did Apple stop this from working (as it did in Snow Leopard) so we have to get Apple TV? From what I've read Apple TV struggles with anything better than 480p.

Anyway, any suggestions to get this working would be much appreciated!