Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnrBjotk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Hi

I am really really desperate, so please help me as much as you can :)

First of all I use a Mac, second, I only recently even became able to view my webiste on my own computer by using a free DNS server.
BUT the problem is:

All FTP-programs, including Dreamweaver, Filezilla and Fetch, refuses to log into FTP claiming incorrect username and password.

I dont need to mention that I've checked and rechecked that my login info IS correct...

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
The server will be refusing a connection, either port 21 ftp or 22 ftps (ftp-ssl), so you cannot connect. Change the settings on the server it self, or contact your server admin

bobr1952

macrumors 68020
Jan 21, 2008
Melbourne, FL
Also be sure you are using the correct login. I swore I was using the correct login and tried many, many times and finally gave up only to discover that my host--Host Gator--needed the domain in addition to login name as in login@yourdomain.com. Certainly not saying this is of any help to you, but just in case...

Reactions: Benfranklin7

carlosbutler

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2008
How do I change this?
If that is the problem, which I am not saying it certainly is, you need to contact your hosting company. Otherwise...

Also be sure you are using the correct login. I swore I was using the correct login and tried many, many times and finally gave up only to discover that my host--Host Gator--needed the domain in addition to login name as in login@yourdomain.com. Certainly not saying this is of any help to you, but just in case...

Do what bobr says and try with your login@yourdomain.com and same password. On that note bobr, I never had to do that with Host Gator as my domain name. Might be to do with the registrar.

calcalmx123

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2010
Make sure your URL is correct some ftp programs such as Smart FTP don't need the website address to be "ftp.domain.ext" whereas some do.

AnrBjotk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
I have Godaddy btw. The thing is that all the login info was orignally at default with DW when this started, so the login info CANNOT be wrong :(

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
I have Godaddy btw. The thing is that all the login info was orignally at default with DW when this started, so the login info CANNOT be wrong :(

Have you tried contacting GoDaddy, or looking at their FAQ or anything?

Every web host is a little different, and even then, from server to server it can change, too. Your best bet is to get a hold of someone there if you can't figure it out via their online help pages. Their support people can see the exact error logs on the server and pinpoint what is wrong.

ChicoWeb

macrumors 65816
Aug 16, 2004
California
Fun, either your account wasn't set up correctly, or you truly have the wrong U/P, or host. Good luck, but the FTP don't lie.

AnrBjotk

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 4, 2010
Fun, either your account wasn't set up correctly, or you truly have the wrong U/P, or host. Good luck, but the FTP don't lie.

The account HAS been set-up just fine for three years, and the U/P is correct, I even changed it to a extremely basic P just to make sure...

Oh, PLEASE help me :(

designguy79

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2009
Michigan
There are too many unknowns for people here to be very helpful. We can take "stabs in the dark", but that will just lead to further frustrations!

Your best bet at getting it working will be to get support from GoDaddy (assuming they are still your host). They will be able to tell you exactly settings to use (i.e., what format your username is, what the host/server name is, port number, etc)

HTH...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.