Cant Connect to internet....

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by AJ Muni, Aug 25, 2005.

1. AJ Muni macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

this is the situation. im at work, and i brought in my ibook. i connected the ethernet cable from the ibook to the jack, but its not working. its not picking up the internet. if i plug the pc ethernet cable, boom im online. for some reason its not working with my mac. is there any around this?? has my company, kmart, blocked macs??

2. emw macrumors G4

emw

I doubt they specifically prohibit Macs, even if they could, but they may be prohibiting MACs. That is, it could be that your company uses MAC addresses to filter who can get onto the internet, to prevent unauthorized computers from using their services.

Talk to the IT guy and find out.

3. Gee macrumors 65816

Had a similar problem recently, and turning off the Mac firewall fixed it. Give it a go...

4. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

i have firewall turned off already. problem is that im not suppose to bring my ibook to work....but im sure theres a way around it..

5. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yeah, if there's one place where you want to get around the rules, it's at work at a major corporation that's potentially going through significant internal disruption because of a recent merger. :rolleyes:

Sorry to appear judgmental, but I've seen enough people thrown out of larger corporations because of personal business interfering with work to know it pays to be careful. Not that it's stopped me from spending a few minutes here and there on MR :p

6. AJ Muni thread starter macrumors 65816

AJ Muni

forget it i gave up. i f***ing hate PC'S!!!!!!!!

7. za9ra22 macrumors 6502

Well, it's easy to give up, but it shouldn't be THAT easy!

It's certainly possible that your system administrator has set the network up in such a way that only authorized systems can connect, but there may be a much more simple issue to do with network settings.

If nothing else, you need to ensure that your iBook is set up in the same way that your PC is. In many instances that will be to accept settings from a DHCP server. You can check this on your PC by looking at your TCP/IP properties and seeing if the system has a specific IP address assigned to it, and subnet, default gateway (router) and DNS server addresses. If it does, you need to set these in your iBook. If you see 'obtain IP address automatically' in your TCP/IP properties, then on the iBook, open your network preference pane, select the built in ethernet page, and next to where it says 'configure IPv4, select 'Using DHCP' from the drop down.

If that doesn't work, then check the proxy settings on your PC (Internet control panel/connections tab/LAN settings button) and if there is anything set where it says 'Proxy Server' duplicate it in the proxies tab of the iBook's Built-in Ethernet network preference pane.

At the very least, that should give you the same settings, so any failure after that is more likely than not to be system security related. At THAT point you might want to give up!