Can't connect via ethernet

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Fuith, Dec 11, 2012.

1. macrumors member

Hi folks, I can't get my iMac to connect via an ethernet cable. Wireless is fine, I've tried a different cable which I know works, so I know it's not the cable or the router. Any ideas anyone?

2. macrumors regular

NVRENUF!

Whats the adaptor set to ? Auto, manual , Off ?

3. thread starter macrumors member

Seems to be working now. It was set to auto, but every time I started the mac it came up with an IP conflict. I then set it up manually, with the same result. Then I set it with auto with manual address, which seems to work. At least it rules out a hardware problem.

4. macrumors regular

if you had just unplugged your old mac and connected your new one then that is the normal thing to happen

always turn off the modem/router then on again this is to allow the renewal of the lease between the mac and the router/modem it would have done it by itself if you had waited about 4 hours

5. macrumors regular

NVRENUF!

WHS : reboot router reissue and assignment of IP over network

6. macrumors newbie

If you have Mac Filtering enabled on your router you'll need to manually add the wi-fi address of any device you want to give access to. Check your router settings. This little step stumps me every time I go to add another device to my network.