Can't Copy and Paste Anything

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kelmo2003, Jan 7, 2005.

1. kelmo2003 macrumors newbie

Im unable to Copy and Paste anything, either within Word, from Safari, even Stickies and e-Mail. I can Cut things but no paste button ever comes up. Ive tried Apple+C, control-clicking, and the menu bar. On a possibly unrelated note, I cant get Apple System Profiler to open. The beach ball spins, than the program closes. Im not sure if that is pertinent information.

Im running Jaguar on a 12 inch Powerbook G4 with 512 MB Ram and 1.2 Gigs free on a 40 Gig hard drive.

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide me, this problem has been ongoing for months now.

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

First off, have you done the usual...
    Restarted
    Repaired permissions
    Zapped the PRAM
    Etc.?

Woof, Woof - Dawg

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The answer to your problems may lie there.

OS X writes temporary information to your hard-drive constantly. When it doesn't have enough HD space to write on and when lots of programs are open you may get problems like you describe...

What space is there, may be highly fragmented.

Time for a spring-clean of your HD.
    Get an external HD or burn some CDs, or just throw out some stuff...

4. kelmo2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

MacDawg, Ive restarted many times, and verified and repaired permissions, but Im not sure what "zapped the Pram" means. Blue Velvet, I thought that free space might be an issue, but I figured 1.2 Gig would be enough room. Is there any way to clean up the space I have so that I dont have to remove things?

Thanks for your help guys, Im glad there are a lot of people here who know what theyre talking about.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I get worried when I've about 10gb free on my home mac HD. Apart from burning stuff onto disks, there's not much else you can do... are you sure that everything on there is of equal value?

The other thing you could do is try stuffing or making compressed images of the folders that you are finished with and deleting the originals...

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Here is a sticky thread that might help with zapping the PRAM. (Thanks E)

If you have lots of stuff to burn to a CD/DVD for back up, it is probably better to just invest in a Firewire Drive and copy it all there (assuming that you can copy it there)

Woof, Woof - Dawg

7. kelmo2003 thread starter macrumors newbie

Hey, thanks a lot. I zapped the PRam and I can now copy and paste, which is unbelievably awesome. On a side note, I can no longer open my Utilities folder, so Ive got that going for me, which is bad. Im gonna attribute this problem to lack of space. Ill need to find something that will defrag my hard drive, I suppose, or delete some of my precious movies and Chappelle's Show episodes. Thank you both for your help again, and lemme know what the best program is for defragging.

8. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Might want to consider upgrading to Panther :)

Not sure space is your problem on this one.
    But right now I'm at a loss.
    I'd restart again just to be sure.

I'm sure somebody else will come along with a good answer.

Welcome to the forums by the way!

Woof, Woof - Dawg