Can't copy over files

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by gadgetgirl85, Sep 3, 2006.

1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I'm trying to copy over a folder of photos from my mini to my MBP and its connected to to my MBP but it says the item cannot be moved because desktop cannot be modifed. Am I doing something wrong?

2. wiz7dome macrumors regular

wiz7dome

Select the folder and click "command I" to get info. At the bottom where it says Ownership & Permissions click the arrow to see if it is locked or if its read only. If so you can unlock or click the drop down menu to change it to read and write and then move the file.

Hope this helps.

3. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

4. zwida macrumors 6502a

zwida

Do you have full admin privileges for your account? Any chance an admin limited your access?

5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

No I have admin privlidges on both computers I don't understand I have no probs connecting to the computer but won't let me put files on the MBP

6. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its not about you acc having admin privileges or not, its about the target folder (on MBP where you wanna to put your file in) is write-enable or not, you need to check that folder's property.

7. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

its not about you acc having admin privileges or not, its about the target folder (on MBP where you wanna to put your file in) is write-enable or not, you need to check that folder's property.

8. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

This is what you do. Copy the files to a different location on the hard drive. then connect and get them from there.

9. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I got it working thanks lilstewart :) Thanks everyone

10. mjstew33 macrumors 601

mjstew33

Glad it worked. :)