Can't copy pictures from pc to mac via network

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by WCunha, Mar 6, 2007.

1. WCunha macrumors member

I have a Kodak easyshare camera that is docked to my desktop pc. I usually transfer pics from the camera to the pc then I will go to my Macbook pro and copy the files from the pc and paste to the mac.

I had no problem doing this when I first set up my Mac in January. Then pictures in files after a certain date I would get this message "The operation could not be completed because you don not have sufficient privileges for some of the items".

However if I am working on the pc I can copy the same files on the pc and paste them to the mac with no problem.

This problem only seems to be with files that have pictures. I can copy other files and older files of pictures and paste to the mac but nothing from 2007-01-22 and later.

The date format is how the easyshare software creates the name of the folder when you transfer pictures.

Thank you, Wade

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

If you put a non-picture file in the folder with the pictures that won't transfer, can you access this file from the Mac? It could be a permissions error on your PC's directory... :)

3. WCunha thread starter macrumors member

Wierd

I tried putting a Word .doc in the file. It didn't copy but one picture did.

The pic that copied has a different name then the rest. It was for some reason -1 and the rest were 100_1581, 100_1582 and so on.

Thanks for the quick response.

Wade

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

What was the Word file called? Was the -1 after the file extension on that image? If so, then try removing the file extension of one of the files (JPG or whatever) and then see if it copies. :)

5. WCunha thread starter macrumors member

The word file name is Wade_Cunha_Resume_7.

The -1 was just the name of the pic. Maybe my wife renamed it or something.

The file extension is not shown after the name in the pc. It is a jpeg.

Another thing I tried was making a copy of a picture. I just copied one of the pictures in the folder and pasted it back into the same folder. Then when I tried copying the file and pasting it in the mac the same thing happened. It would only copy the -1 pic. However when I click on the copy of the picture that I made it comes up with a preview which the others do not except -1. So, I dragged the copy I made to the desktop of the mac and it copied.

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

So what happens if you rename the files that won't transfer? Does it still not work? Also, are you getting a dialogue box telling you why it's not working? :)

7. WCunha thread starter macrumors member

I tried renaming one of the pictures and it still doesn't work. The only thing it says is "The operation could not be completed because you don not have sufficient privileges for some of the items". Nothing else.

When I connect to the pc through the mac I click on the pictures that won't copy and there is no preview of the picture. I click more info and it tells me that I have read & write privileges.

Thanks for all time Mad Jew.

Wade

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, I'm running low on ideas. :eek:

I reckon it's a PC-side configuration problem (maybe). Try turning off your firewall on the PC for a while and see if that helps. If it does, then you may need to add File Sharing to the list of exceptions in Windows Security(assuming you use the default Windows Firewall). Also, check the sharing properties of the folder on the PC. It should be in the contextual menu if you right click on the folder. :)

9. WCunha thread starter macrumors member

Okay.

I took one of the pictures on the pc and copied it from the folder it was in and pasted it in the "My Documents" folder. Then I went to my mac went to the "My Documents" folder and dragged it to the desktop of the mac and it copied fine.

Any idea

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

From the Mac, if you select one of the files that won't copy across and press COMMAND-I it should come up with a Get Info box. At the bottom of this box are the files permissions. Does it say you can read and write?

11. WCunha thread starter macrumors member

In the get info box at the bottom it say I have read & write privileges

12. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Sorry mate, I've got no idea. I guess you could create a new folder and set it up for sharing on the PC, and then keep everything there. Fresh settings might get things moving again. :eek:

13. WCunha thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for your time. If I stumble across a solution I will let you know.

Thanks again, Wade