Can't Decide Between 15" And 17" Powerbook

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by jumpman25, Nov 6, 2005.

1. jumpman25 macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2004
    I'm all set to order a new powerbook, but can't decide between the 15" or the 17". I plan on upgrading the hard drive to the 100gig 7200rpm and adding 2gb of memory from crucial when I get it. I plan on using it for all the basic stuff, web browsing, music, word processing, but also plan on using it to encode video, and will play World Of Warcraft on it as well. This is going to be my only computer so I will use it all the time. I'm getting a laptop and not a desktop because I'll be going away to college next year and don't want to have to lug around a desktop. I guess I'm wondering if the 17" would be better for heat reasons. I will be putting it through its paces fairly often, and want to make sure it wont crap out on me. I've heard that the 15" gets really hot. I want to make sure I have a reliable notebook that can do what I want without me having to worry about it overheating and breaking down during a long encoding session, or in the middle of a game. Anyway, any help would be greatly appreciated along with any info you could add. Thanks
  2. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

Oct 19, 2004
    Calgary, AB
    If your planning on lugging it around (which it sounds like you are) I'd go with the 15".

IMO the 17" is really too big for a laptop. It's more of a portable desk top that you may need to move from time to time.

Think of it this way, feel like lugging around a 17" LCD all the time?
  3. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2004
    I love these forums :), I get a response in 30 seconds, anyway thanks for the quick response, do u think heat would be an issue and cause stability problems if I encode video for for hours on end, or play a WoW for hours on end. I've heard of the 15" getting really hot and just want to make sure I dont have any big problems.
  4. nospleen macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2002
    I would get the 15" as well. The 17" was just too big when I tried to use it at my school. Plus, the new 15" has as much screen res as the old 17" models, so you really are not losing out!
  5. RHMMMM macrumors member

Aug 9, 2005
    I had to make the 15 or 17 decision a few weeks ago. I bought the 17" and haven't looked back. The new 17" has a brighter screen than the new 15 - it's 46% brighter than the old one vs. the new 15" which is like ~10% or something brighter (don't quote me, do a forums search). It's big, but not as big as the comparable PC 17" laptops.

I have a feeling that if I'd bought the 15", I'd always be wanting the 17" in the back of my head. I don't carry mine around with me all that much, so my situation is a little different. I think I'd still go with the 17 if I had to though. It's up to you, of course. Tell us what you choose!
  6. jumpman25 thread starter macrumors regular

Feb 23, 2004
    Just wanted to thank you guys for your help and let you know that I just ordered a 17" with the 7200rpm HD option. Through the educational discount I got it for 2436.94 and that includes tax and shipping. I did some searching and found that the 17" actually does run cooler than the 15" because it has more surface area to dissipate the heat. Also has the same resolution as the apple 20" lcd, seemed like I couldn't go wrong there. My situation is a lot like RHMMMM's in that I don't plan on lugging the laptop around a lot. I might occasionally bring it over to a friends house, and then just need to move it from my house to my college dorm. Other than that, I'll just be moving it around my house, so it seemed like portability wasn't really an issue for me after I thought about it. I figure I most likely wont be saying to myself "dang I wish I got the laptop with the smaller screen."
  7. dank macrumors newbie

Sep 26, 2005
    I suggest 17"

I have been using 17" for 2 and 1/2 year, 1.33ghz then 1.5 ghz. I had series of 15" before.I normally upgrade less than a year.
    I will not buy 15 anymore. I am planning to buy another soon, but for sure it will be 17". I connect another screen as well at home or at work. PowerBook follows me everywhere. It is only few pound more. It worth the effort to carry.
  8. Sic macrumors 6502

Oct 26, 2005
    Southampton UK
    i had to make this decision recently, and i went with the 15", purely because, whenever i leave the house, so does my powerbook. i'd love to be able to carry the 17" around with me everywhere but i dont think it'd fit. plus, i've got plenty of screen on my desk (19" LG CRT) so i think the 17" would just be overkill. i'll be doing video encoding, music production, web design, photo editing, very small amount of gaming. i'm getting the same as you, but 15 inch (ie. 100Gib 7200rpm, 2Gib)
  9. tekmoe macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    excellent decision jumpman. i had a 15" from the last rev. and i sold it right before the new models came out. then i bought me a brand new 17" with the 7200rpm drive. it is freakin suhhhhweeeeeeeet! i love it so much more than the 15". and honestly, this 17" really does not feel as big as it did when i first got it. i've gotten used to its bohemith size and it kicks ass! everybody says its TOO big but i say phooey on that. i have no problem taking my 17" with me everywhere i go.

again, excellent decision on your part. welcome to the 17" crowd. :cool:
  10. Platform macrumors 68030

Dec 30, 2004
    There is about a dozen threads about it, but anyway......if you don't mind size = 17" if you travel more = 15";)