Cant delete an application because "I dont have permission to access items"

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by iveyjnr, Aug 8, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Hi,

I am using a MAC OS X version 10.6.7

I am the sole owner and the administrator.
    My problem is that I cant delete an application that I want to get rid of.

I go to finder - Macintosh HD - Applications- then drag the application to the trash.

However I then get the following message

"The operation can’t be completed because you don’t have permission to access some of the items."

Its really frustrating as I am the owner of this mac!!

ANY HELP WOULD BE HIGHLY APPRECIATED.

THANKS

2. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

What app are you trying to delete? Is the app running?

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:

Thanks for the reply.

The app is called Pokerstars (online poker ). Its not running when im trying to delete it.

Please help me !

4. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Launch Activity Monitor and change "My Processes" at the top to "All Processes". Then look to see if any process is running that looks to be related.

The most effective method for complete app removal is manual deletion:

5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Re

I launched activity monitor and changed to "all processes" but didnt see any process name called "pokerstars"

Also i followed the link you sent and followed the steps to manually delete.
    However after searching and finding the files i still cant delete it.

I right click and choose "move to trash" but the same error comes up, saying i dont have permission to access some of the items

What should i do ?

6. macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

7. thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I havent had any luck :(

1- Im sure the file is not locked. because when i click "get info" the option 'locked' (under "open using Rosetta") is unselected , Although it is invisible and i cant seem to be able to change it in anyway

2- I altered the sharing and permission so that as administrator I HAVE READ AND WRITE privalleges.

3- I downloaded the software "trash it" its 4.2 mb BUT i dont know how to use this software. Do you have to install it ? In the downloads section its shown as a file "Trash 4.1" when i open it there are four options , 24U installer / Docs and URLS / Drag content to desktop / secure delete.

Im not sure how to operate THRASH IT do we have to install it ? How do i operate it ?

It feels like i will never be able to delete this stupid application. Its my Mac so its frustrating that I cant delete an application that I downloaded !!

Any help is highly appreciated.

Thanks again