cant delete file from trash??

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by idofotos, Apr 18, 2004.

1. idofotos macrumors newbie

I have a jpg file that I threw in the trash, when I try to empty the trash it wont delete, it gives me a warning that the file is in use, but we cannot find anywhere that it is in use and there is no program associated with it, i have placed it in a folder and tried to delete it, also have changed file name, no luck
    Panther os
    dual g4 1.25, other files delete ok, hope some pne can help
    thanks
    Dennis

2. yoman macrumors 6502a

yoman

have you tried rebooting? Sometimes there is a backround process that is still using the file or thinks its using the file. Rebooting clears all processes allowing you to delete it. I have heard there is a way to track the process down and "kill it" without rebooting, however I am not aware of how to do it. Good Luck :)

3. idofotos thread starter macrumors newbie

yes I did

Thanks, I have tried rebooting, I thought I had it deleted in Photoshop, but the next day when I rebooted it was still in the trash, I thought I read somewhere that you could do like a force quit, but cant figure this one out

4. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I'm not in front of my mac, so this may be off a little. Use the terminal to get to your trash. I'm pretty sure that it is a hidden folder(.trash or something). Remove all the files in the folder with the force flag. The command is something like this, but read the man page if you don't know too much about command line.

rm -f *

5. applekid macrumors 68020

Try rebooting into OS 9 and try emptying the trash from there. That sometimes works. (You may have to take the file out of the trash and then put it in the trash in OS 9).

Of course, a better thing to do is probably use the Terminal command for deleting files. Unfortunately, it escapes my mind right now.

6. idofotos thread starter macrumors newbie

Got it

Thanks everyone, i booted in os9 deleted trash, rebooted in panther emptied trash its gone, I rebooted again to see if it came back, so far so good, thanks for the help, this forum is the best,

7. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

i always find it easier just to drop the file somwhere (like the desktop) then go into terminal and use the rm command to delete it. thats always worked for me when it wont let me empty the trash.

8. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

I never thought of that. I feel stupid.

I've run into this problem so mamy times (and I never know why) that I've written a bash script to empty my trash. Works everytime.

9. dragula53 macrumors regular

I'm with the previous poster

drag it to the root directory (or nay, even better, save a command (cd /) and drag it to your home directory), open terminal, sudo rm filename.