Resolved Can't Delete iTunes in OS X Lion

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by LT1FirebirdSLP, Jul 28, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

This drove me up the wall for a few days because it would tell me that I can't delete this application because it is required by Mac OS X.

Open Finder
    Browse to your "Applications" folder
    Get Info on "iTunes" (or whatever application you are trying to delete)
    Go to the Permissions
    Unlock the padlock
    Set Everyone to Read and Write
    Attempt deletion again

I ran into this problem trying to downgrade from iTunes 10.4 to iTunes 10.3

2. macrumors member

SinisterPower

Didn't work for me.

3. macrumors 6502a

4. macrumors newbie

Thanks! it worked perfect for me!!:D:D:D

5. macrumors 6502a

1. Quit iTunes & disconnect any iOS devices
    2. Open up Activity Monitor and stop any iTunes processes (like iTunes Helper)
    3. Launch Terminal
    4. cd /Applications/
    5. sudo rm -R "iTunes.app"

6. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why delete iTunes? Seems like a stupid "issue" not being able to delete iTunes.

7. macrumors regular

Ropie

Stupid issue? How about using a less inflammatory choice of words?

I deleted iPhoto and iMovie and all the stuff that is useless to me a long time ago. If I didn't want to use iTunes and didn't want it taking up precious HD space I'd like to know how to delete it too.

8. macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

Lol, "precious" HD space.

9. macrumors newbie

Not everybody is a casual user, troll.

Also, be very careful with "sudo rm" solutions... I don't know enough about iLife's guts to know how deeply its roots run in the operating system, but I think Apple has realized that in 10.7 it can pull the same kind of anticompetitive BS that got Microsoft pounded when Windows XP would be crippled if you tried to uninstall Internet Explorer...

Also, "Why would you want to..." is offtopic and doesn't belong in tech discussions. If you don't know the answer, contribute your problem or save your stupid opinion of power users.

10. macrumors 68020

Fernandez21

Sweet! Thanks, iTunes has been giving issues lately and been trying to figure out how to unistall and reinstall. Thank you.

11. macrumors regular

easy i want to squash itunes so i can re-install it. I am having random crash bugs. I know it is not the library DB as it is on multiple machines around the house so has to be the app / os and not being able to squash it to fix it very annoying apple very annoying

12. macrumors 6502

The Economist

Excuse us, Mr. power user poopy pants. None of us will ever dare to question your awesomeness and your professional use of a computer.