Can't delete Mail attachments-- "File in Use" upon empty trash

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by EMKoper, Sep 19, 2004.

1. EMKoper macrumors regular

EMKoper

I noticed that I cannot delete the local copy of a file that I have attached and sent with OSX Mail until after I close the Mail application. This started after I installed the latest security updates for 10.3.5 (Security Update 2004-09-07 and 2004-09-16). OSX give me "cannot empty trash, file is in use" until I close Mail. After closing the Mail application, I am able to empty the trash no problem. Anyone else experience this after the updates?

2. scifi451 macrumors regular

This also is happening to me, but I am not sure when it started.

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

The only way I find this to work is if you close Mail first, then empty the trash.

4. CaptainHaddock macrumors 6502

I'd like to revive this thread in case anyone has a solution.

I've been having the same problem, and it hinders my workflow a little, because I frequently revise artwork files and send them to clients. The problem is that once I've mailed a file to someone, I cannot edit and save it without closing Mail.app, and I can't delete it from the trash either.

There's another problem that might be related: sometimes new files I've created don't appear in Mail's file dialog box when I want to insert a file into an email. I know I can just drag files onto the mail message, but I don't like doing that because it also inserts the resource fork and most of my PC-using clients don't know what to do with the "weird attachment".

Overall, Mail.app's file handling seems buggy. I hope Apple fixes it soon, but in the meantime, I'd like to hear if anyone has another fix.

5. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Hmm that's odd. I can throw away an attached file that I sent without quitting mail first. Also I can throw away the attachment while mail is sending the file without error.

6. HiRez macrumors 603

HiRez

Many times the "file in use" error is realated to it being open in the Finder (selected). This happens a lot with QuickTime movies, as the Finder locks down the file while it's displaying the preview movie. Make sure the files you're trying to delete in Mail aren't currently selected in a Finder window. It probably works the other way as well, with Mail grabbing access to a file it's using so no one else can delete it.

7. EMKoper thread starter macrumors regular

EMKoper

Still an issue for me...

Since my original post, I am still having the same issue with both my Macs ... 2x1Ghz MDD PM and RevC 12" PB with the latest updates. For me, it is clear the file isn't open in Preview or anything else when this is occurring and I can remove from trash after closing Mail... so the OS clearly thinks Mail is still using the file in my case.

8. MacBandit macrumors 604

MacBandit

Have you tried creating another user and performing the task from there? If that doesn't work how about a clean install of the system? Is there a possibility you have a 3rd party app that's interfering?

9. reckless_0001 macrumors 6502

I've have this problem too, sometime since 10.3.5 and I though 10.3.6. would fix it but I still have the problem too.

10. DJY macrumors 6502a

DJY

I haven't had this problem in Mail yet...
    but have when trying to empty Trash.