Can't delete Windows Media Player!?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by jaeshellz, Nov 8, 2005.

1. jaeshellz macrumors member

I don't know why but I was having problems with wmp, so i decided to throw it in the recycle bin and just dl it again, and re install. So when i tried to empty the Trash, a box comes up telling me a certain file within wmp cannot be deleted cause its "protected".... WTF??

can somebody pleez help me! thanx

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

3. jaeshellz thread starter macrumors member

tried restarting, and still giving me problems! I don't know whats up... could it be a process running in the background?? HELPPP

4. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

press Control+Alt+Delete to display the open programs, end all of them except for "Explorer."
    (Just a thought)

This is what you get for using a Windows ;) ... Just Kidding

5. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I believe you cannot uninstall WMP on a Windows box, unsure if its the same on a Mac

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

You can uninstall it on a Mac

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I kinda assumed this was a Mac, considering the forum title an' all. ;)

Assuming you restarted (with it still in the trash) and still couldn't delete it and assuming you're logged in under an administrator account (default), check the app's permissions by selecting the WMP icon when it's not in the trash and Get Info form the File menu. Down the bottom it should say Read & Write. :)

8. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

I assumed it was on a Windows, he referred to "the recycle bin." - Oh, there's the problem, you should be putting it in the trash :p (I always hated the name "recycle bin").

9. jaeshellz thread starter macrumors member

yeah i have mac, sorry for my use of "recycle bin"... i have a g4 pb if that helps any... I don't know whats up cause now wmp won't even open. i tok it out of the trash and tried to open it and says "application quit suddenly". So I threw it in da trash and dl'd it again. Still won't open and i put it in the trash and it still won't get out of my life! A stupid box comes up saying that certain files are "protected" or in "use" but i checked my procceses and i dont' see anything thats using wmp.....

this all started when i tried to use FLIP4Mac , i threw that in the trash after it wasn't working, and everything went downhill

10. monkoverboard macrumors newbie

This question is a very popular one

Back in May or so, I was having this same problem.:)

Create a folder and drag all the unwanted files into it. Then, do the following:

1. Launch Terminal (Applications/Utilities).
    2. Type sudo rm -rf (leave a space after sudo, after rm, and after -rf).
    3. Drag the folder into the Terminal window; the path to it will appear.
    4. Press Return and type your administrator password.
    5. Press Return again.
    6. Type exit , press Return for the last time, and quit Terminal. All the crud should be vaporized.

11. monkoverboard macrumors newbie

this also werks, just a little more than you actually need

this is frm the following article: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106272 :)

Advanced tip about deleting locked files

If there are several locked files in the Trash, you can unlock them all at the same time at the command line. Follow these steps:

1 Open Terminal. It's located in /Applications/Utilities.

Type: chflags -R nouchg
    Note: Type one space (not pictured) after nouchg in the line above, so that it ends in "nouchg ". Do not press Return yet.

2 Double-click the Trash icon in the Dock to reveal the contents of the Trash. If necessary, arrange the Finder window so that a portion of the Terminal window is still visible.
    3 Press the Command-A key combination to select all files in the Trash.
    4 Drag the files from the Trash to the Terminal window.
    Note: This automatically enters the pathname for each file. This eliminates the need to individually empty multiple Trash directories, particularly when multiple disks or volumes are present.

5 Press Return. No special text message will be shown indicating that the command was successful.
    6 Empty the Trash.

If the Trash does not empty or if you see a message in Terminal that says "usage: chflags [-R [-H | -L | -P]] flags file..." you most likely did not type the text in step 2 as indicated or did not leave a space. Repeat the steps if this happens.

12. TDM21 macrumors 6502a

TDM21

or if you are not comfortable with the terminal, do what I did: here is the link. I answered this same question last week.

13. aaannddy macrumors newbie

I've tried it all...

I've tried the chflags -R nouchg and sudo rm -rf solutions, which have worked in the past, but now i just get different mesages saying I can't delete it (wmp). First it kept saying "wmp is a directory". Then it started telling me that I don't have permission to delete it. What should I try now?

14. wattage macrumors 6502

wattage

an extreme action would be to backup your HD and wipe the Pbook with a clean install..

15. aaannddy macrumors newbie

and here's yet another:

rm: illegal option -- /
    usage: rm [-f | -i] [-dPRrvW] file ...
    unlink file

?????????? HELP!

16. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

Press 'get info' on the file, check if it's locked or any of that. Are you in the Admin account?

If no and yes:
    Search in google and download a program called "force delete". Should work wonders :)

17. amateurmacfreak macrumors 6502a

amateurmacfreak

Yes, I know this is an old thread, but I love you with all my heart! I had 2,000 files to delete and none of it would work b/c of WMP! yay! I could sing!
    Anyways, thanks. I know I'm being freaky, but it made me happy! :)

18. Rantipole macrumors 6502

Rantipole

Ditto for me! Since Mister Softee is discontinuing WMP for the Mac and telling people to go to Flip4Mac, there will be more and more people interested in this.

THANK YOU, MONKOVERBOARD!!!!

19. will production macrumors newbie

if u go trash right click on the windows media file n click show content.

there loads of files inside each of the different folders

go inside each of the folders (the 1s named after different languages)

there will be 1 or 2 files inside in folder

right click n click get info n just uncheck the locked box do that to what ever files are inside the folders

there should be another folder inside of the folders named after different languages go into that folder n there will be like 70 odd files if u select all of the files and right click then click get info it should bring up just 1 info box 4 all the files n just uncheck the locked thing

then make sure u have de clicked the lock option 4 the 1 or 2 files in each of the languages folders then to go into the folder inside all of different languages folders and to de click the lock option for every file in them folders

20. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

You just replied to a 3 1/2-year old thread.

21. will production macrumors newbie

m8 if 1 i new it was 3 years old or 2 cared it was then i wunt of.. it happernd to me the other day typed wot was up into google **** find out how to do then worked it out while i was at home and thought i would put it on here