can't detect airport express

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mojohojo, Dec 23, 2006.

1. mojohojo macrumors regular

i can't detect my airport express on my pc which is connected by a wireless router D-link.
    i've tried connecting through the ethernet port, and the light on router showing there is a connection between the two, and even the airport express turns green. but when i use the airport admin tools i can't scan for it.

what problems can there be?
    (so far, its only be able to connect to my macbook)

2. thewhitehart macrumors 6502a

thewhitehart

Ah. Here's a surefire solution, I bet.

Your airport express, like mine, doesn't want to join the 192.168.1.x network that your D-Link is putting out.

I know you want to set the airport express to join the D-Link's network, but you're going to have to first "set" it as the principal router (creating a network). Hard reset the router by sticking a pen cap tip or similar in the tiny reset button. Keep it held down while plugging it in, not letting go for a minute, allowing the lights to cycle. Then, when your pc detects it anew, calling it "Apple Network abcd etc.", in the "Network" tab of Airport Admin Utility, specify that you want it to dish out 192.168.x.x addresses rather than the default 10.0.x.x addresses. Let it restart with the new settings, then go back and change the setting that makes it join an existing network rather than create one. It'll now join your 192.168.x.x D-Link network without any problems.