Can't detect installed Java versions

Discussion in 'macOS' started by mira, Apr 20, 2006.

1. mira macrumors newbie

Hi,

I recently upgraded my Mac from Panther to Tiger. When I typed java -version, I saw that my Mac used 1.4 as my default. I changed the java version manually by copying the files from /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/1.5 to
    /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Versions/CurrentJDK

Everything seemed fine until I tried to start /Applications/Utilities/Java/J2SE 5.0/Java Preferences.app and also DbVisualizer (a database visualization tool). The error I get is:

Could not launch the application because it requires a version of Java that is not installed.
    This application requires Java 1.4 or later, but only the following Java versions are installed: . Updating to a newer version of Mac OS X may resolve this.

I have the following settings:
    "which java" results in: /usr/bin/java
    and "java -version" results in:
    java version "1.5.0_05"
    Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_05-83)
    Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_05-48, mixed mode, sharing)

I think the errror message only appeared after I re-started my machine. Did anybody experience this problem before?
    Thank you for any help in advance!
    Mira

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

:rolleyes: You screwed-up your Java installation and then wondered why you get error messages? Apple just released a new version of Java this week. It defaults to Java 2 (1.5.0_06). Restore your installation to its state before you went mucking around in it. Then run Software Update to get the lastest update of Java.