Can't download from any of my browsers

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by da_alchemist, Feb 27, 2005.

1. da_alchemist macrumors member

Sep 11, 2003

I got a small but annoying problem which I've had for a while. I've never heard of anyone having this problem but maybe you geniuses can help me out:

For some strange reason whenever I try to download any files from the web (i.e., files from sites such as Versiontracker or whatever) the pages simply reload. For example, I will click the "Download now" link but the page just reloads! So. . . in order for me to download anything I would have to right click the link, select "Download link to disk".

That works but its very annoying and it doesn't work sometimes because occasionally it will download the html page instead of the file which I want to download.

It does this for all the browsers I use which is Safari, Firefox and the archaic Internet Explorer.

FYI - I use a Powermac G4 running on Jaguar but hopefully on Tiger soon

Thanx for any help.

(Sorry, I just realized I put this in the wrong sub-forum)
  2. slooksterPSV macrumors 68030

Apr 17, 2004
    I say you can put it here, its just general discussion I mean. Anyways, when I click on downloads in any browser it starts them automatically and doesn't alert me, the page just reloads and I know its started, I check the download window to make sure. I think its Option+L... you'll have to check that since I'm on a darn PC. Check that, otherwise just repair permissions, check your preferences and that. Make sure you have a VALID place where your downloads download to, if you have to make a download folder in your user root (home) folder, and have all downloads download to there. Maybe you may not be able to read or write to some things - like your permissions are incorrect (hence repair permissions). If you know Terminal well, you can figure that out and check to see if you have correct permissions to save paths.

Try those out.