Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Hello,

I have had Tiger installed on my PM Digital Audio for quite some time now and have been using the "Classic Environment" to run my old apps. Recently however I decided to try to install OS 9 (from the Power Mac software restore disk) onto a blank partition. This has proven to be much more difficult than i was hoping for. In fact, my Power Mac does not even recognize the restore disk as a bootable disk, I have tried booting from it using key combinations at startup and also by selecting it from the system preferences for the startup volume. It quickly flashes the old classic folder icon...then it comes up with the new os X appple icon and proceeds to boot into os X. Any ideas? Is it possible to install os 9 after os X has already been installed? Thanks

MacBWizard

chv400

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2003
Houston, TX
Toinstall OS 9 you have to make sure that the partition you're trying to install to had the OS9 drivers put in when it was orginally formated. They can be put in by through disk utility by foramtting the drive and making sure that the box saying "Install Mac OS 9 Disk Driver" is checked.

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005
Thanks, but I checked and actually the OS 9 drivers are installed on that drive. I think the problem's deeper if it won't even boot from the cd.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
The last Mac sold that was able to boot into OS 9 natively was (I believe) the 1GHz 15" PowerBook G4 Titanium, or the Mirrored Drive Door PowerMac G4s.

faintember

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2005
the ruins of the Cherokee nation
Cless said:
The last Mac sold that was able to boot into OS 9 natively was (I believe) the 1GHz 15" PowerBook G4 Titanium, or the Mirrored Drive Door PowerMac G4s.
The last PB that could boot OS 9 was the 1ghz Ti PB, and the mirrored door PM g4's also can dual boot. I think the cutoff date was around fall of '03 IIRC.
Anything after that can not dual boot, just run classic.

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Okay, my brain's broke. I thought he meant a G5. SORRY SORRY, I'LL GO TO THE BRAIN STORE. :p

::schleps off to Brains 'R' Us::

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005

So that's a photo of what appears when I boot holding option with the restore cd in the drive... quite simply it does not show up

Duff-Man

Contributor
Dec 26, 2002
Albuquerque, NM
Duff-Man says...Do you have any other bootable CD/DVD you can put in the Mac to see if it will boot from that? And try the simple things too - zap the pram (command+option+p+r at boot...let it bong a couple times then let go...) - not likely in your case but best to rule it out anyway.

Sometimes the System Folder for OS 9 just needs to be "blessed" too, especially when it has been put there by a straight finder copy: http://macs.about.com/cs/operatingsystem1/a/bless_system.htm ....oh yeah!

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
It may be the drive you have installed...if it's a retrofit it may not be OS 9 bootable. I put a Combo drive in a Rev. 2 Blue-and-White, and it worked fine for booting OS X discs, but it wouldn't boot OS 9 CDs. Try the stock drive that came with your machine, if you still have it.

greatdevourer

macrumors 68000
Aug 5, 2005
Sys Prefs:Startup Disk, select the startup folder you want, and click "reboot". Within 9, there's summat like that in control-thing-do-da (long time since I've been into 9)

macbwizard

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 23, 2005
greatdevourer said:
Sys Prefs:Startup Disk, select the startup folder you want, and click "reboot". Within 9, there's summat like that in control-thing-do-da (long time since I've been into 9)

Yeah, I tried this as well. The one thing that possibly could be the trouble is my new superdrive that I installed after installing Tiger. I suppose I could swap back in the original optical drive, although I am leery as it has no problem booting the Tiger DVD. Hmmm any other ideas?

Thanks

StealthRider

macrumors 65816
Jan 23, 2002
Here and there!
My retrofit drive had no problem booting OS X discs either; it only choked on OS 9 discs. A simple swap, then install, then swap back will work for you.

themindstorm

macrumors newbie
Aug 15, 2005
i have the panther and troubles!

I have a mac g3 (blue and white) 450 Mhz, 8.5 Gb, 80 Gb, 1 giga ram, os x 10.3.9.
I had before in the same computer the 9.2.2 and did the os upgrading, but mi dv camera doesn't work with panther, so i'm trying to put the 9 back, and every time i try, the mac say the classic is not running. Any advise, please? I'm a rookie in mac!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.