Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blueb3ll

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
I have an MacPro and work under Lion.
I got an application which had a driver on a disc which is about half the size of a normal one. I put it in but nothing happen. It doesn't show anywhere and I don't know how to get it out again. Needless to say that I'm gutted, so can somebody help me please?

Last edited:

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
Unfortunately you don't say anything about your setup. The standard drives in a MacPro are tray-based and should pose no problem, so i assume you are talking of a slot-in drive (e.g. in an iMac or MacBookPro). Normally there should be an emergency eject on the front of the disc drive (a very small hole with about 2mm diameter), where you can push out a CD mechanically with some bent paperclip.

I'm not sure though whether you would have access to that emergency eject on the abovementioned machines without having to get the drive out of the housing first (ask in the suitable forum for better advice, as i only own a MacPro). Worst case could be that you would have to dismantle the drive to get to the stuck CD.

Advice for the future: NEVER insert a disc smaller than the standard 12cm diameter into a slot-loading drive without having inserted it into a suitable adapter before!

blueb3ll

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Can't eject disc

Yes I have a Macbook Pro and there is a little oblong 'hole' on the side of the disc drive. Is that where you mean I have to push?

----------

Tried pushing but it didn't work :(

Neodym

macrumors 68020
Jul 5, 2002
You better ask in the MacBook Pro section of the forums then - over there your chances of getting the "right" advice are way higher than here in the MacPro section...

blueb3ll

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Can't eject disc

Luckily there's a PC Shop in our village so went there to see if they could help me. And they could. As it wasn't all the way in, he could pinch it with a tool and get it out easily. He also tad me the little 'hole' beside the CD drive is not for ejecting the disc but for an anti-theft device. Ah well, you live 'n learn :)
Many thanks for your help anyway.

Oops didn't realise I was in the wrong section ... Thanks for pointing it out

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA

I think you confused everyone because not only did you put it in the Mac Pro section, but your original post also said you had a Mac Pro (which, as noted, has a tray-loading drive and is a different story entirely). I moved your thread to the right place.

Anyways, moral of the story is that you can only use standard size CD/DVD discs in a slot-loading drive. No mini-CDs, no CDs shaped like squares or cards, etc. Unfortunately, if you ever really need the information off one of these, you're going to have to put it in a tray loading computer (PC, Mac Pro, etc) and copy the data off onto something else.

blueb3ll

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 3, 2010
Can't eject disc

Oooops again and doubly sorry.
Thanks for all your advice. I have never seen such a disc before and now know better

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Luckily there's a PC Shop in our village so went there to see if they could help me. And they could. As it wasn't all the way in, he could pinch it with a tool and get it out easily. He also tad me the little 'hole' beside the CD drive is not for ejecting the disc but for an anti-theft device. Ah well, you live 'n learn :)
Many thanks for your help anyway.

For future reference, tray based DVD drives, such as the drives in the Mac Pro DESKTOP do have a little pin sized hole around the tray. Pushing a paperclip or pin in this hole will eject the tray. However your MacBook Pro is slot load, and as such, that hole next to the drive is for a Kensington style laptop lock.

Just so you know why we were a bit confused, this is a Mac Pro:
apple_mac_pro_xeon266ghz_12_core.html_600041_g3.jpg

shyam09

macrumors 68020
Oct 31, 2010
also, after making sure that the disc is fully in and not ejecting.
i believe an option for getting it out is shutting the computer down, and the starting it again holding the eject button [and it should come out :)]

but it's great the PC shop helped you out

mkrishnan

Moderator emeritus
Jan 9, 2004
Grand Rapids, MI, USA
also, after making sure that the disc is fully in and not ejecting.
i believe an option for getting it out is shutting the computer down, and the starting it again holding the eject button [and it should come out :)]

This works (I believe you can also hold the mouse left/main button) for normal discs -- I'm not sure if it works for something like a mini disc that didn't belong in there in the first place? Guess it's worth a try if you're in that position (not that I'm going to go do it to find out!)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.