can't eject DVD

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by trev, Mar 26, 2007.

1. trev macrumors 6502

I've tried selecting the icon and hitting cmd+e... tried the eject button, restarted... and the dvd don't won't eject... any suggestions?

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Desktop or laptop? If it's a laptop, hold down the mouse button (on the laptop) while you reboot. It should spit out.

If it's a desktop, I don't know if that trick works or not.

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Yes, the mouse button down should eject all removeable media.
    The other thing you can try is open iTunes and choose Eject CD - that ejects whether or not the machine 'thinks' there is media in the drive

4. BarryW macrumors member

Hi,

I had the same prob the other day with my MBP, I panicked as it was only a couple of days old. It came out eventually, after multiple tries.

The problem was that the DVD was thicker than a normal disc, bit lame but I have read other posts about similar experinces.

If you cannot get it out take it back to the apple store.

5. trev thread starter macrumors 6502

6. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Another problem to add to my Crapbook pro... Perhaps I can end the day with a kernal panic? I only get those enough to have it memorized...

7. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Huh? You're getting a lot of KPs? Have you installed any third-party RAM? Has an genius had look at it?

8. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

completely stock. Have taken it to genius and the Manager genius looked at it for about 2 hours and a half. He opened my computer (because I had it asleep in my bag), the screen starts up and he see's clear dock. He looks at me and goes. OH! Oh! Oh! this is a modified mac. Oh oh I really don't know if I can't help you. So for the rest of the 2 and a half hours of him running hardware check he concluded that it was clear docks fault for:

My Computer Specs:
    MBP C2D 2.33 ghz
    2gigs of RAM
    160 gb hd (75gb's used)

1)When putting my computer to sleep I get random restarts

2)When putting my computer to sleep only the display goes to sleep, but computer keeps running

3)Kernal Panics

4)Some times the screen doesn't come on after It has been put to sleep

5)Firefox takes about 2 and a half minutes to open up.

6)After a restart any program that is the first program opened takes about a minute and half to open, even mail.app.

7)The screen will go to the last bar to the left in terms of brightness randomly, so will the keyboard lights

8)Runs sluggishly after a restart. For example, when I restart my computer and it loads completely, clicking things like the volume will not have a reaction. I have to click it multiple times and at a rapid pace before it registers. Then after it does register that one command it is good i.e. I have t o do that for everything.

9) My computer takes about 3 and half minutes to do a restart (starting from the chime it makes at the beginning)

10)My screen is so loose that if it is at an angle of more than 5 degrees it will close itself.

11)Typing in word and firefox is sluggish. I'll be typing and the computer has to catch up once and awhile.

12) I see the beach ball of deaf around 100 times a day. Loading a webpage, typing a paper, starting applications, opening the Application folder in Finder

13) Ejects discs once and awhile.

14)After about the 8th song, on a disc it is trying to burn I start to get pops and cracks like I am playing a record player (this is going through itunes, and I am using Memorex CD's)

15) The background changes randomly (this is about the rarest of all problems) Only happened twice. Suddenly my background would act weird, I'd get a Kernal Panic restart and there was the classic background put back as my main background.

Well that's about it for now. Thank god I finally got my external hard drive back and working so I can back up my computer. That manager said he can't find any reason for the problems I am having except for that it is probably cleardock and that the only way he can help is if I do a clean install. Note - I didn't have kernal panics when I took it to apple before, but all the other problems I reported. Well no eject drive problems either back then. That was about a month and a half ago.

9. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Haxies (like ClearDock) can cause odd behavior, but I doubt it would cause all that. Have you backed up your data, run a clean install, and not run ClearDock?

I know that's a huge pain, and not running ClearDock might not be as cool, but if it makes for a more stable system, why not?

...however, if you go through all that, and you're STILL getting the KPs, it sounds like it could be bad hardware (RAM, logic board, hard to say what exactly).

10. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I have backed up and don't mind going through all that. The problem I am actually gonna have with doing any of this is that this MBP is my only computer and I have to use it for class ( I go to film school) and doing editing and junk. So I don't know what to do because my next break is not until July. So if I have to be told it's like my logic board and it's gonna take a month to replace I don't know if I can work around that....