Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Kyle Nerder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Toronto
there is a file that will not delete on my external hd. The files says "in use".

I have tried option button and empty but no luck.

it's getting really annoying.

Thanks in advance for your help!

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
And if those things don't work, you can open Terminal and type
Code:
sudo rm -Rf ~/.Trash
(it will prompt you for your admin password). Every once in a while I've gotten that "file busy" error with a file that really is not in use by anything.

Kyle Nerder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Toronto
HiRez said:
And if those things don't work, you can open Terminal and type
Code:
sudo rm -Rf ~/.Trash
(it will prompt you for your admin password). Every once in a while I've gotten that "file busy" error with a file that really is not in use by anything.

OK so I tried this and I get this...

http://www.kyleherder.com/flatblack/images/picture1.pdf

error -43? what gives. 2 years this file has hung around on my external hd.
Finally it's starting to bother me. I guess life goes on...

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Kyle Nerder said:
error -43? what gives. 2 years this file has hung around on my external hd.
Finally it's starting to bother me. I guess life goes on...
OK yeah, that one stumps me. I think RatVega is right, there is probably something very, very wrong with your hard drive, like a corrupted B-Tree or something. Since these things usually only get worse and tend to eventually corrupt your whole hard drive, I'd definitely run a disk utility on it, DiskWarrior or my favorite TechTool Pro. NOT Norton if you can help it.

Kyle Nerder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Toronto
HiRez said:
OK yeah, that one stumps me. I think RatVega is right, there is probably something very, very wrong with your hard drive, like a corrupted B-Tree or something. Since these things usually only get worse and tend to eventually corrupt your whole hard drive, I'd definitely run a disk utility on it, DiskWarrior or my favorite TechTool Pro. NOT Norton if you can help it.
Is TechTool Pro much different then the Deluxe version that comes with AppleCare?:confused:

Kyle Nerder

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 14, 2005
Toronto
what tool do I use in ToolTech Pro? I got it and I am ready to fix like I have never fixed before. LOL:p

HiRez

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Western US
Kyle Nerder said:
still with TechTool Pro, I can't delete it:mad:
I'm not recommending you delete the file with TTP (that's not what it's for), but to run a thorough examination of your entire hard drive. If it finds and can fix problems, that may or may not allow you to then delete the file (well, supposed file...it seems that it's not really a file anymore).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.