can't enter simple commands in terminal

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by Ambrose Chapel, May 6, 2003.

1. Ambrose Chapel macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

Hi

I have a Ti DVI 667/512/30, running 10.2.4. I never messed with Terminal until just now. I wanted to see my uptime, so I launched and, at the prompt, typed uptime. It tells me command not found. Same for cal (got these 2 from The Missing Manual). If I type ls ~ i do get the contents of my home folder.

I looked at some of the old threads about uptime and saw the pics people posted. My Terminal window looks the same except it doesn't say 'Welcome to Darwin.'

Any ideas on what's wrong?

2. lmalave macrumors 68000

lmalave

Hmm...I just did an uptime and it worked.

I executed the "which uptime" command to find out where the uptime executable is located, and it is located in th /usr/bin directory. So make sure you have a /usr/bin/uptime file.

If the file is there, then the problem is with your path. Execute the command "echo $PATH". Make sure /usr/bin is in your path. It should be in your path. I'm not sure why it wouldn't be. You can always add it to your path by adding the line:

setenv PATH /usr/bin:${PATH}

...to the file .cshrc which is in your home directory. But it's weird it's not already in your path, though....

3. Ambrose Chapel thread starter macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

ahh

Thanks for the reply, but i need you to dumb it down some. I'm pretty unix illiterate. Just wanted to see my uptime!

4. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: can't enter simple commands in terminal

It sounds like you forgot to install the BSD part of OSX. There's a checkbox in the installer for it.

5. Ambrose Chapel thread starter macrumors 65816

Ambrose Chapel

That very well could be. Can I install it on its own from the CD, without installing anything else?