cant find a good batch renamer.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by lucface, Jul 7, 2005.

1. lucface macrumors regular

lucface

i need a simple and smart batch renamer that will recognize more than a few file extentions. can some one whos had the experience shoping around and using a few different programs give some advice?

2. fwhh macrumors regular

3. The Truth macrumors regular

You (and most other people) need to learn the full potential of Automator.

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Since you have Tiger, Automator is the answer.

Open it up, click on Finder in the far left column and see the list of actions that come up for Finder.

Drag the one that's called 'Get Specified Finder Items' (or some such - I'm on a PC at the moment) into the workspace on the right. If you want a non-destructive method (so you keep the original files), say yes to the dialogue box that comes up and asks if you want to copy the originals and work on the copy.

Then drag the Action that's called Rename Finder Items and make your selection as to what you want to do. Make things sequential, Add something to the current name, rename it entirely etc etc - it's fairly obvious if you have a look through them. If your sequencing based on time created/current name, you may want to add an Action in before this one that sorts them according to that criteria.

If you click on the 'Option' arrow and check the box that lets you view as it runs then you'll be able to specify the exact text

Do a 'Save As' Finder Plug in and give it a name.

Now go to the folder where you want to change names, select the files that you want to rename and right click on them. Go to Automator -> Name of Your Plug-in and wait. You'll get your dialogue box asking which text you want (if you clicked the Option arrow) and Automator will update all the file names for you. File types will remain the same regardless.

5. michaelrjohnson macrumors 68020

I agree. I'm one of those people.

I've been using OS X as my main OS since Public Beta. I consider myself a semi-power user, but still, yesterday I was browsing Apple's page on Tiger's over 200 new features Just becuase there are so many I have yet to explore!

6. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

If Automator still feels a little intimidating, try FileWrangler (which showed up in todays Mac OS X downloads). It's freeware and, at least, claims to do what the OP wants:
    Disclaimer: I have not tested this software, and have no idea if it works fine or will eat all the files on your HD, but it comes from Apples own download pages and I usually trust software coming from there...