can't find my airport log

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by andiwm2003, Nov 24, 2004.

1. macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA

i try to get the log from my airport extreme base station.
    i set in airport admin utility/all settings/base station options/base station logging the syslog host to my ip adress (i copied it from apple menue/about this mac/network/ip adress) and the logging level to 6-informational.

when i check in console there is no airport log to begin with, and in the system log there is no info about airport as well.

what am i doing wrong?

thanks for your help,

andi :confused:
  2. thread starter macrumors 601

Mar 29, 2004
    Boston, MA

i still can't find any logging information.

is there any way to find out who is currently using my airport extreme base station?

thanks, andi
  3. macrumors newbie

Dec 11, 2004
    You configured your airport base station correctly. You just need to make some further configuration changes outside of the AirPort Admin Utility. Have a look at
    Unfortunately, the AirPort Admin Utility help does not include these additional steps.

I followed the above Apple support article and now I am getting log messages from my base station in my system.log.
  4. macrumors 603

Jul 17, 2004
    I'd bet that you set up your Mac to get an address via DHCP, ya?

Well, that means that you get a new IP each and every time your computer connects to the network. So after a shutdown or sleep, you get a new IP.

Hence, your logs may have been sent to an IP that doesn't exist any more, or are being sent to the wrong computer... etc.