Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cks1885

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 9, 2012
Hi,

installed a OWC dual hdd kit, and installed a samsung SSD. all went well and OS is installed on the new SSD

But i can't find the original 500gb disk that came with the mini. looked in disk utility and also in windows disk manager....nothing....

Any ideas on how make it appear in the OS?

Thanks

Omnius

macrumors 6502a
Jul 23, 2012
I haven't done the upgrade on the 2011 or 2012 yet but it sounds like you may have knocked something loose and the original HD isn't connected.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
Hi,

installed a OWC dual hdd kit, and installed a samsung SSD. all went well and OS is installed on the new SSD

But i can't find the original 500gb disk that came with the mini. looked in disk utility and also in windows disk manager....nothing....

Any ideas on how make it appear in the OS?

Thanks

My guess is that the "hard drive" cable (SATA) came lose off of the motherboard. I'm really surprised they stay attached at all to be honest. As easy as they are to pull off and reattached, I can't believe they make it thru shipping still attached. I'd pop open your Mini and make sure both are attached as expected.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
My guess is that the "hard drive" cable (SATA) came lose off of the motherboard. I'm really surprised they stay attached at all to be honest. As easy as they are to pull off and reattached, I can't believe they make it thru shipping still attached. I'd pop open your Mini and make sure both are attached as expected.

follow this advice.

in fact keep the mini on its back with the black plate removed. boot the mini with the fan in but the grill removed. make sure you can see that both cables are attached.

look at the second shot see the left thumb. it is near one attached sata cable make sure both are snug. then boot with the fan attached and look for two drives.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 6.36.21 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 6.36.21 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 106
  • Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 6.40.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-02-04 at 6.40.33 PM.png
    2 MB · Views: 94
Last edited:

Woyzeck

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2012
I successfully managed to damage my harddrive cable when reattaching the HDD. Consider this as an option, too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.