Can't find the "pop" on my Macbook.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by reubs, Mar 6, 2007.

1. reubs macrumors 68000

I've begun to notice the audible alert "pop" on my Macbook, but I can't pinpoint what is causing it. I've "quit" all of my Gmail notifiers, so I don't think that's it. I don't have any sound on Adium, so that's not it. THere are no new Mail notifications when I hear the "pop", and Newsfire isn't set to play any sounds at any point.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.

2. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Are those the only applications you regularly run? Is there anything else? And it's definitely coming out of the speakers?

3. Chile Mac macrumors newbie

Try to press cmnd + alt + esc keys to see which programs and processes are running. Maybe you can find the cause there.
    Hope it helps.

4. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

Yeah, I'm pretty sure it's definitely a system sound, and those are the only apps that I'm running right now. I just installed Growl per Adium's "suggestion", but I don't think there is anything from there that is making the noise...as in there is no notification of any kind that goes along with the "pop".

5. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Hm - I don't know Growl to make any noises, it's possible you've glossed over a setting somewhere and just weren't aware of it. It's going to be hard to narrow this down to one app over a message board.... ;)

6. yippy macrumors 68020

yippy

Mail will make the new mail sound (might be describable as a pop) any time it downloads a message, even if it doesn't go into your inbox. For example, if you have filters set up and mail routs an email to one of your folders it will make a sound but not display a number on the mail icon. I think it will also do this if you get spam in the spam box but I am not sure because I only get one spam message a week.

Of course, if mail is closed it rules this out completely.

7. reubs thread starter macrumors 68000

I think this was the problem. I just noticed that all my mail from my campus .edu address was being sent to my "sent" folder after being forwarded from gmail. I've since added a rule that will "hopefully" make these actually go to my inbox, but we will soon see.

Thanks for the info everyone, and we'll see if this works itself out. Great work as always.