Can't find the script for purge command timer!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by DukeOfMapleton, Apr 4, 2013.

1. macrumors newbie

I remember finding a bit of code floating on one of the apple forums but I can't find it after days of scouring google.

My initial problem was the inactive RAM was getting too high. I wanted to have the RAM purged periodically. I found a script that did just that, and had a value section where I can enter the time in milliseconds.

I have it now set to 21,600ms which is 6 hours. So my computer automatically purges the ram every 6 hours. But now I need to remove the code because it interferes with my music production workflow and freezes the computer for a few seconds which could be detrimental to a live set.

Please if anyone knows what I am talking about or remember where this specific code is, let me know.

Its almost as if the person who published the code, decided to delete the post or something because I tried typing in main key words in search queries and still nothing comes up.

2. benwiggy, Apr 5, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2013

macrumors 68020

Perhaps that's because purging your Inactive RAM regularly is unnecessary and actually unhelpful?
    OS X is designed to use lots of your RAM for Inactive Memory.

https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/#documentation/Performance/Conceptual/ManagingMemory/Articles/AboutMemory.html

If you want to get rid of the scheduled script, it probably resides at /Library/LaunchAgents or /Library/LaunchDaemons (or the same folders in the user library).

3. thread starter macrumors newbie

Oh ok, I didn't know it was harmful to purge periodically. I found the script thanks to you. It was hidden in the Launch Agent folder. Thanks!