Can't find Wii....

Discussion in 'Games' started by spencecb, Dec 29, 2006.

1. spencecb macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I know you people are probably sick of reading posts like this, but I have to vent.

I have a strict routine that I follow every morning. I begin by calling stores in the area that open at 7am, followed by the ones at 8am, 9am, then 10am. I have been doing this for a while, and still can not get my hands on a Wii.

Even thought this is frustrating, it makes me happy to see Nintendo doing so well. This only means excellent things for this console from developers.

It is 7:30am here today, so I have only begun my search for the day. Hopefully I will find one by days end.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I feel for ya mate. I'm searching everywhere pulling all sorts of strings but with no luck at all.

Come on Karma... I've finished my coursework now! Give me my damn Wii :mad: Having a whale of a time with my DS Lite though. The Wii better be as good as that.

3. jdechko macrumors 68040

spencecb, try Target. They got their shipments this week, and the store near me got a ton, though I'm nowhere near you on the map.

THIS JUST IN:

Wii Available for Purchase 12/29: The Nintendo Wii will again be available for purchase on Amazon.com on 12/29, Friday morning, at some point between 7am and 11am PST. We will be limiting purchases to one per household. We anticipate that we will sell through our inventory very quickly as demand for this product continues to be very high. At this time, we do not have any information on future Nintendo Wii offers, but we will post updates on future availability on this page.

4. barr08 macrumors 65816

barr08

People who work at game stores hate people who call them. I bet if you have been doing this for some time, a disgruntled gamestop employee has told you they are out of wiis while staring at a box of them. Honestly, your best bet is to physically show up places.

Gamestop gets shipments in around 11:00 AM usually.

5. Foxglove9 macrumors 65816

Foxglove9

I check stores all the time around here and they never have them in stock either. I think in January they should be easier to find so just have a little more patience.

I wonder if they are selling better than Nintendo hoped or on par with expectations. I was under the impression from the beginning that there would not be a shortage of these machines, so I am a little surprised they are still hard to get.

6. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I was under the same impression then again I was also under the impression that Nintendo would ship 4 million Wiis (a doable figure given the nature of the Wii's hardware) when it clearly hasn't :mad:

7. monkeydo_jb macrumors 6502

I heard rumors that on the 31st a bunch of stores are getting them.

I waltzed into an EB yesterday on my lunch hour and someone had just returned a Wii they bought for their roommate (who found one in the meantime). Sold to me, thank you!

8. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

I'm quite familiar with this feeling. :eek: I've struck out camping out, cyber-stalking (e-tailers), random walk-ins, calling, and even Craigslist (>$55 over retail isn't "worth" it).

I know the feeling of being unable to get a hold of a Wii.

G' luck to you and the rest of us still looking. :(

9. jpgoebel macrumors newbie

10. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I think barr08 is right. I was calling around a few places shortly after launch and for the most part people were very short with me on the phone. Soon thereafter I just started walking in to the stores instead of calling. I got the feeling the store reps I was talking to would have told me they were out of stock even if they weren't.

Anyway, this is how I got my Wii, actually it was more of an accident since I went to Toys R Us for a christmas gift for my son and saw a line forming. :)

Another good way that a couple of my buddies got theirs was by looking at various retailers weekly ads online. They come out every Sunday but most are online before midnight saturday night. If you see it advertised then they will have some stock on the shelves for in the morning.

Good Luck!

Oh, it's better... much better. ;)

11. AHDuke99 macrumors 68020

AHDuke99

sunday is the next big day where all retailers are getting them. i'll show up around an hour before launch just to be safe. although my target had them in stock yesterday until 1pm when i showed up to see the last one in stock get sold.

12. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Just got this link from a friend.

Put in your zip and view source and search for "Available".

It's supposedly linked to the inventory database, unfortunately none near my current location or home.

Edit: I suppose I should mention it's for Target stores.

13. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

I appreciate everyone's reply to my post.

AND I HAVE GREAT NEWS TO REPORT.

I got my Wii today!!! I decided to stop calling these retailers because I got the feeling that most of them really didn't know what they were talking about, nor did they care (as some of you have pointed out).

I got mine from an EB Games in a mall near me. I know the manager there, I used to work with him at Express. He told me that he was pretty sure they were getting three of them on their UPS shipment, and I stuck around for about an hour, and got the only one that came in.

Needless to say, it was worth the wait. The console is amazing, and can be both fun and serious at the same time. Zelda is utterly phenomenal. I'll be able to tell more once I beat the game (no time soon), but it appears to rival Ocarina of Time (but not surpass).

Good luck to everyone out their searching. Not to put a downer on this, but I heard on a CNN report that this could still be going on come June. People are just going nuts over the Wii. If you have the time, do as people are suggesting. FInd out EXACTLY when a store receives their UPS shipment, then be there around that time. Eventually, you will get a Wii this way.

14. Dead EditHer macrumors newbie

You're acting surprised you can't find a Wii? Get over it, Nintendo never said they would have enough for everyone in the beginning, that's how it is for any new console. Anyway, Nintendo announced about two weeks ago they were cutting the shipment numbers from 4 mil to 2 mil, apparantly all the manufacturs practice the overblown shipment numbers method when it comes to console launches. Anyway, you didn't hear this from me, but check the BBY ad this Sunday Morning for a "special".

15. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

They've always planned on shipping 2 million to the US in 2007. 4 million is worldwide.

16. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

Not really a necessary remark. I have one now, anyways.

17. Dead EditHer macrumors newbie

Sorry about the confusion, it's two mil. worldwide they planned. According to Nintendo, the demand is gretaer thean they anticipated.

18. atszyman macrumors 68020

atszyman

Well they've already sold 3.19 Million units so how is it they only planned to ship 2 million units worldwide?

19. bobber205 macrumors 68020

bobber205

Ha!

I knew waiting in the launch line was going to be so totally worth it. :D

20. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

2 mil in the Americas and 2 mil everywhere else I believe is what they're saying. So a total of 4 million.

21. Littleodie914 macrumors 68000

Littleodie914

Yea, we're actually looking for one too! :eek: I got a controller, a strategy guide, and two games for Christmas (Zelda and COD3), but have yet to use them. :rolleyes: We gave the money to a friend who's working at a local store that gets them in often, and he's going to snatch one the morning they get there! I just hope they come in before I have to head back up to college! :eek:

22. poohat1000 macrumors 6502

poohat1000

23. sb58 macrumors 6502a

sb58

Zap2 and his brother helped me get one :D
    now to find extra Wii Remotes and nunchuks.

24. spencecb thread starter macrumors 6502a

spencecb

For accessories, I think it is best to search stores that people wouldn't think of to look, or next to stores that are obvious. For example, I went to a Walmart that was right next to a Best Buy, Circuit City, Target and Gamestop. They had several Wiimotes and nunchucks.

25. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

I've given up hope, I'm just going to wait until January, got me two awesome PS2 games to tide me over (Bully and Final Fantasy XII) and I'm hoping by the time WarioWare comes out I'll be able to get a Wii to get me some Zelda, Rabbid (I love these guys) and Wario goodness... I just wish they had included an extra wiimote just to be able to take advantage of the incredible multiplayer component of the Wii right out of the box (see its not about online, its about bringing a group of friends together and laughing like hell).

Ah good times... nothing beats a good LAN or split-screen multiplayer session...