Can't get Flip4 Mac Universal to work.

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by pumpkinking, Jul 29, 2006.

1. pumpkinking macrumors newbie

I downloaded Flip4Mac WMV from http://www.flip4mac.com/wmv_download.htm and when it starts to install I get a message that says "Flip4Mac cannot be istalled on this computer. QuickTime version 6.5.1 or later is required to run Flip4Mac WMV Player." I have a Intel iMac that is running Mac OSX version 10.4.4 and I have QuickTime version 7.1.2 So why won't Flip4Mac install?

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe try starting a new user account and see if it installs from there. :)

3. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

You could also just try reinstalling Quicktime, then give F4M another shot. I don't know how the installer checks for Quicktime, but it's likely that it's checking your receipts folder. If there isn't a receipt in there for a valid version of Quicktime, that may be what's causing F4M's installer to balk. Reinstalling Quicktime should put in a fresh new receipt if there isn't one present.

4. pumpkinking thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried both of your suggestions and it still doesn't work.:confused:

5. VanNess macrumors 6502a

VanNess

Well, if you do have Quicktime 7.1.2 installed, something is preventing F4M's installer script from seeing it. Since that "something" isn't being cured by a new user setup, the problem must be in your system files, somewhere.

You might want to check /Library/Receipts and see if "Quicktime712.pkg" is present, or for that matter, any version of Quicktime present in that folder. Also check /Library/Internet Plug-ins and see if "QuickTimeplugin.plugin" and "QuickTimeplugin.webplugin" are there and both are at version 7.1.2

If there are any plugins installed by VLC, remove those to the desktop. VLC's plugins have been reported as being very problematical, so if they are present, best to get them out of the picture. And just to be sure, /Library refers to the Library folder at the root level of your hard drive (accessible by double clicking the Macintosh HD icon on your desktop), not the Library folder inside your home folder

Third, fire up Safari, go to the help menu and select "Installed Plugins." Verify that Safari is reporting the presence of the Quicktime plugs and that the version is correct.

If all of that checks out okay, then it's a mystery to me why F4M's installer is reporting an improper installation of Quicktime, You could try - sigh - repairing permissions, but I wouldn't expect very much from that.