Can't get GIMP to work, says X11 not installed

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ArcticFox, Jun 9, 2005.

1. ArcticFox macrumors member

I downloaded the GIMP thinking it would hold me over until I get Photoshop, but I can't get it to work. It says I need X11 installed, so I went over to Apple's site and downloaded it, but when I try to install it the program says the version I have loaded already is newer than what I'm trying to load.

Any ideas? How can I get X11 loaded on my Mac so I can run the GIMP?

2. TrenchMouth macrumors 6502

What version of X11 do you have (when you get info on it)?

what version of GIMP are you downloading? Is your copy of X11 on your start-up drive/partition? Do you have more than one copy installed? (should just be the one your utilities folder)

10.4? or earlier?

3. ArcticFox thread starter macrumors member

That's the thing - there is no X11 folder in my utilities folder. I'm running 10.4.0 and the GIMP version is whatever the latest one is, same with the X11 version I downloaded. It's like the X11 installer thinks it's already loaded but the GIMP doesn't agree with it.

4. Apple macrumors 6502

Apple

Maybe try a reinstall of both the Gimp and X11

5. ArcticFox thread starter macrumors member

I can't reinstall something that isn't installed and refuses to install in the first place.

I've heard of some XDarwin or whatever that will do the same thing as X11, is that true? If so, where can I get it and I'll give it a whirl.

6. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

Sounds like it ended up in an unusual place, and Gimp can't find it.

Spotlight X11 and see what you find. If you find it, move it to utilities. If not, reinstall.

7. ArcticFox thread starter macrumors member

The only stuff that comes up when I Spotlight it are the install files and whatnot, no programs or anything.

Am I supposed to have to reinstall Tiger in order to get this to work?

8. stcanard macrumors 65816

stcanard

You have a few of options you can try.

Take those install files, and move them to a temporary directory then try to reinstall.

Go to /Library/Receipts, and look for anything X11<something>.pkg, move that to a temporary directory, and try to reinstall.

Either one of those may trick it into allowing you to install.

If all that fails, use your Tiger CD and see if you can convince it to reinstall through the OS. You shouldn't need to reinstall the whole OS, hopefully that package.