cant get gmail in mail

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by abril, Dec 3, 2004.

1. abril macrumors newbie

need help, i'm an idiot and cant get to recieve and send messages from mail to my gmail account... I can get my servers account on it, but i want to have in it all of them....

2. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

have you read the gmail instructions properly?

it took me about 10 mins to set mine up because you need to change all the port numbers etc.

i suggest reading the instructions (on the pop page in gmail)

/asif

3. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

I don't think the instructions on GMail are completely accurate. Here's a more thorough article from macosxhints on how to configure mail.app.

4. sorryiwasdreami macrumors 6502a

sorryiwasdreami

I just set mine up too, and it only took a few minutes to complete. Just log into your gmail account and go up to the top right of the screen and click "help."

From there go down 2/3 of the page and on the right you will see the "POP" questions and answers. Click "How do i enable POP" and you shall find everything you need to know to set up apple mail.

5. Jalexster macrumors 6502a

You need to turn on POP access in your Gmail settings, BEFORE you can recive your Gmail through POP, which in turn you use through Mail.

Also, you need to choose some weird port numbers, and authentication options before it works.

6. asif786 macrumors 65816

asif786

I'm still not too impressed with gmail's pop features.

Or perhaps it's mail.app that I'm not happy with. i.e. messages dont get marked as read on gmail.com even after I've read them with mail.app..v annoying.

Cant wait for mail 2.0. At the moment, I'm trying desperately to stop myself from switching to entourage 2004.. :rolleyes:

/asif

7. erickg macrumors 6502

As far as my knowledge goes, an imap account does what you want it to (i.e. your mail program and the online mail service automatically update when a message is read on one of the two), but a pop account just downloads the messages (i.e. there are two separate copies that don't interact with each other). Entourage 2004 shouldn't help there and I don't think any future version of mail would either. My wife uses a .mac account and there all messages are automatically updated and the folders in .mac are a complete reflection of mail, also the sent messages automatically update in both (if I'm not mistaken).

Please correct me if I'm wrong on any of this. :)

8. abril thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks guys

thanks munkle, the site was right... i got it

9. abril thread starter macrumors newbie

anyway

anyway, thanks to all, is just that i'm not made for these stuff

10. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

thanks for that article from Mac OS X Hints - i just had to enable SSL under the 'Advanced' tab. :p

11. joker2 macrumors 6502a

joker2

Check your settings in Gmail's web interface: I have mine set up to archive everything as soon as the pop client gets it.

Settings --> Forwarding and POP --> POP Download --> When messages are accessed with POP:

Use the dropdown menu: "archive Gmail's copy"