Can't get icon into the trash

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by rnashwa, Apr 18, 2005.

1. rnashwa macrumors newbie

I clicked a link in a video education site which was said to download Quicktime. The download failed and I am left with an icon which says 'quicktimeinstallerx.dmg. When I click on it I get 'failed to mount due to error 95(no mountable file systems). When I try to drag it into the trash I get a box 'The item quicktimeinstallerx.dmg is being used by another task right now. (Other tasks include, moving, copying or emptying the Trash.) Try again when the other task is complete' These is a barberpole scrolling sideways.
    How do I get this thing off my desktop?
    :confused:

2. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Sounds like you're using a PC there :mad: (as QT is a basic foundation of OSX)
    .dmg is a mac-only format.
    Go to the apple website and download the windows version, or use your handy friendly Mac user's link.
    Hope that helps
    Just trash the .dmg!

If you are using a Mac, i don't know what the hell's going on as they ALL have Quicktime!
    If somehow it's been deleted, you can still use the above link! :)

logging in and out usually works, or at worst restarting. If this still doesn't work you can use the terminal:

cd desktop
    rm quicktimeinstallerx.dmg

3. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

First of all, is that barberpole in a dialog box? If it is, dismiss the dialog box first before trying again.
    Secondly, if that fails, log out and back in, then try to delete the .dmg file.
    Finally, restart your Mac, then try to delete it again.