Can't get iSight with iChat to work on schools firewall

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MacEffects, Oct 29, 2005.

1. MacEffects macrumors 6502

Apr 21, 2005
    Hi, I have been looking and looking but can't get any answers to why my iSight won't work. I have come to the conclusion that it has to be the firewall here at my college. I keep getting the following: 2005-10-30 01:24:26 -0500: (Someone) did not respond.
    Tried to send UDP SIP "invite" to the following IP addresses and ports:, Even though they are responding and clicking accept. The school doesn't know anything about this and said they cant help me. Please help me and any info is greatly appreciated! Oh, by the way the iSight works fine in Yahoo messenger though.

Thanks, Dave
  2. puckhead193 macrumors G3

May 25, 2004
    i had the same problem i couldn't connect to my brother who was at school either, we came to the conclusion that it was his school cause when he moved into a different apartment it worked
  3. superbovine macrumors 68030

Nov 7, 2003
    "the school" wouldn't know anything, but the person in charge of their network would.
  4. Skid macrumors newbie

Oct 30, 2005
    If you've access to a *nix based machine, you could tunnel your iSight 'session' out via SSH - check the man page for 'ssh -L', I use it often at my University to access things that I need, that otherwise wouldn't be avaliable.

Also, I'm not sure if it's possible, but if you can specifiy a remote port to connect to (I don't have an iSight, and am new to macs), and the chap on the other end hosting it can listen on a different port, then 443 should pretty much work (it can't be proxied)