Can't get out of Darwin/BSD Console mode

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Victor Paez, Oct 30, 2003.

1. Victor Paez macrumors newbie

When powering up my computer (OS X) it goes directly into Console Mode showing the following messages:

Darwin/BSD (xxxx's-Computer.local.)
    Login:

Nothing I attempt gets me out of it. Is there anyone who knows what's going on and how to fix this problem?

I'll apreciate all the help I can get.

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Probably not the issue but...

Try hitting all the keys... maybe the key combination that makes you go to the console is stuck... happens sometimes on old keyboards... probably not the issue as I said before but... could be...

3. Victor Paez thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried it, but it did not work. Does anybody out there have any other suggestion?

4. backspinner macrumors 6502a

I have no solution. But I had the same a year ago I think when I entered the wrong password. It didn't ask again but went straight to the console. I could log in and type "start" or "exit" or something and then it would start OS X Aqua. I think it has something to do with a corrupted login application or corrupted settings for this one. Try repairing the disk and repairing the permissions.

5. Victor Paez thread starter macrumors newbie

I tried repairing the disk and repairing the permissions, rebooted the machine but it whent back to the Darwin/BSD console mode. Any other sugestions out there?

6. szark macrumors 68030

szark

7. wr0x2 macrumors member

Have you tried just logging in, and logging out by typing logout? Maybe this will take you to the normal login screen.

BTW I only knew about accessing the console login by logging in as >console. There are key combinations?

8. Victor Paez thread starter macrumors newbie

___
    I wish I could log in. Nothing I type works...

9. Victor Paez thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried that too. It does not work!

10. Victor Paez thread starter macrumors newbie

I am going to try this. I'll keep you posted...

11. Victor Paez thread starter macrumors newbie

I just tried both, resetting the PRAM and the Open Firmware, and none of them worked. I also booted in Single User mode and did an "fsck -y" command and received a message stating my disk was ok. I also run Disk Utility from a System CD to repair permitions. I rebooted the system and it went -sadly- back to the Darwin/BSD console command mode.

I should let you know that I have booted the computer with a system 9 CD and checked that my hard disk is available and allows free access to it.

Any other suggestions out there?

12. sarah lane macrumors newbie

My friend just had the same problem and it was because
    she used font doctor to remove some (apparently damaged)
    system fonts...

The only way back was to re-install OSX keeping all the system settings intact:p