Can't get printer to work over network

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by ebouwman, Feb 18, 2007.

1. ebouwman macrumors 6502a

I have a Windows XP desktop with 2 printers connected and i just got a MacBook.
    I want to keep the printers connected to the PC but still be able to use them (i dont' want to have to allways plug the printer in)

Both of the printers work and are both set to be shared over my network, but when i search for them to set up a new printer neither show up, as if neither is plugged in :(

Please help.

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Whenever asking for help with peripherals, you should give the models of the peripherals at issue. In this case, you should state the model of printers that you are using.

You question has been asked and answered on this forum too many times to count. Having said that, you are most likely using USB printers. You cannot use USB drivers for printers over the network. Search this forum for CUPS and GutenPrint.

3. ebouwman thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. ebouwman thread starter macrumors 6502a

your imput didn't really help me that much, is it just that flat out, there is NO WAY to make a USB printer share over a network to my mac?

and the printers are an HP laserjet 1020 and a lexmark 5150 all in one

5. emac82 macrumors 6502

The HP 1020 is not a mac compatible printer, and I am not sure about the Lexmark.

I have an HP 7450, and I was trying to get it setup on my network the same way you are, and the only way I got it to recognize is to tell my computer that is was an Apple ColorLaser or something like that.

Actually, I just remember that I had bookmarked that site!!

http://www.ifelix.co.uk/tech/3012.html

This should be able to help you.

How I was setting mine up was, I have my 7450 connected to my mac via usb cable, and I wanted my PC Notebook to pick it up wireless through printer sharing with my wireless router.

6. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Random question about printing over a network.

I have a HP 2840 that keeps giving me an error about the not seeing the Printer Spooler when printing over a network. Plug it in using the usb port and it works fine. Any ideas anyone?

7. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

It should come as no surprise that a USB printer will work over USB. As I told ebouwman, to print over a network, you need to use MacOS X's built-in CUPS facility. Again, search this forum for CUPS and Gutenprint.

8. ebouwman thread starter macrumors 6502a

well... you didn't actually tell me that, all you told me to do was to search for CUPS and GlutenPrint.
    I searched and I couldn't find anything that really helped me all that much.

Asking us to search the forum doesnt really help that much because most of the time searching for those things doesn't really give us proper info pertaining to the situation at hand.

Am i supposed to get help with GlutenPrint by looking at a year old forum where you made the same comment about how this question has been asked too many times?

I installed glutenprint on my computer but i cant seem to be able to access it at all, and yes i did read the Read-Me.

I'm going to try and restart my computer to see if it works for me.

9. ebouwman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I just restarted and it didnt do anything, it still does not work for me.

Let me ask again: Can I print from my mac to a usb printer (connected to a windows computer) over my network? or am i just wasting my time?

10. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Documentation is included with the Gutenprint download.

11. ebouwman thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought i said it but i guess i didn't, I followed the steps in the read-me in GutenPrint, BUT it didn't work, it gives me step by step instructions but i can't get past the 2nd or 3rd step.

Please HELP instead of reffering me to another source.

let me ask AGAIN: Can I print from my mac to a usb printer (connected to a windows computer) over my network? or am i just wasting my time?

12. ebouwman thread starter macrumors 6502a

what the documentation says is to alt-click or control-click (at the moment i forget which one) the add printer button, and it's supposed to give me an extra menu, and i dont get the extra menu, so i can't procede with the setup