Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
I've got 2 iphones, an iphone 4 and an iphone 5. I requested an unlock from ATT a couple of days ago on both of them and they approved both, I waited 24 hours until I tried to backup and restore.

For some reason the unlock isn't working. I did a backup in iTunes with them connected thru USB, they have the old ATT Sim's in them which are activated, working and have signal. Then I did a restore from backup as per Apple's instructions. From what I understand upon restore I'm supposed to get some kind of unlock verification on screen? I also cannot access APN settings, which I thought I could once unlocked. Last, I used a T-Mobile activated SIM to verify if it was unlocked and it just gives me a no service error and calls fail when I try them.

Any advice, troubleshooting or anything I might be doing wrong?

Steve28

macrumors regular
Jun 14, 2011
When you restore, you should have received a message in iTunes that says something like: congratulations, your phone is now unlocked.

I think it says this right the software install and the phone activates, but before you restore it from the backup.

Also, I had my ATT unlocked and I do not see the APN settings.

Baggio

macrumors 6502
Oct 18, 2012
Insert a non-AT&T SIM, such as a T-Mobile SIM (it doesn't even have to be activated) and if it searches for service it is unlocked. I have unlocked 3 or iPhones and never had to restore to get the phone unlocked. I just had to sync the phone iTunes. I just test with non-AT&T SIMs.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
Thanks guys, I had to do a factory restore before I got the unlock message, for some reason it wouldn't work with restore from backup. Although I was able to restore my backup afterwards.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
No they didnt.
You just didnt understand.
You have to do an actual restore with itunes.
Not just a restore from backup. That does nothing besides put back your contacts and other preferences back to your phone.

Yeah they did, I'll include the link ATT sent me to Apples instructions where they specifically instruct to "restore your backup". Your info serves NO useful purpose though other than to critique me, if you had posted up before I solved my problem then it would have helped but I'm not sure why bother posting after I figured it out. In the future why don't you try and help others instead of trying to make them look stupid.

Here is the link ATT directed me to where Apple instructs to restore from backup and does not mention a factory restore.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5014

Attachments

• unlock.PNG
    unlock.PNG
    10.1 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You see step 3?
Erase all content and settings on your phone. Settings,general,reset, erase all.
Then you plug it to iTunes to reactivate and get the unlock. Then you can restore from backup.
Looks like you started with the last step first.

There's many different instructions given out there and most tell you to do an iTunes restore anyway.

pnoyblazed

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2008
OP, how did you get your iPhone 5 unlocked via AT&T? I know you have to be out of contract and with good standing on your account to have it done

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Original poster
Jun 11, 2009
You see step 3?
Erase all content and settings on your phone. Settings,general,reset, erase all.
Then you plug it to iTunes to reactivate and get the unlock. Then you can restore from backup.
Looks like you started with the last step first.

There's many different instructions given out there and most tell you to do an iTunes restore anyway.

Still incorrect, don't try to change what you said. I started with step one. I'm not sure why you are so he'll bent on making it seem like I didn't follow instructions. The logical thing most consumers would do would be to follow the instructions ATT provides them in their email confirmation that they have been unlocked. Anyhow it was solved pretty quickly.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.